Seafoam or decarbon technique from my own experence

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam or decarbon technique from my own experence

I'm cutting and pasting this from a BMW forum I'm on but rest assured, I've been wrenching on the 4 circles for over two decades and owned many.

You first need the following; time, energy, resources.

If you have all 3, do this;
-get the car somewhere that will allow you to leave it in place for 3 days, be able to change the oil in place and also create clouds of smoke that would make anyone with a brain to call 911.
-With the motor warmed up, send the seafoam into the running motor via a misting squrt bottle into the AFM (remove the air filter and housing) with one hand on throttle linkage to prevent stalling. Mist it in as fast as possible in conjuction with feathering the throttle as needed to keep it from stalling. (this mist with a plant sprayer method over the vacume line eliminates uneven distribution over the six cylinders). All kinds of nastyness will be billowing out your tail pipes, that's normal, keep your game face on and run about two bottles worth (14oz), when about out of product, spray as fast as you can to flood the intake mix while not being so active with the throttle. When almost out of seafoam, stay off the throttle and let it stall.
-remove the spark plugs and literly pour more seafoam into the cylinders, enough to soak or submerge the entire piston, what we are triying to do in this step is to let the seafoam soak the carbon from the piston tops but also and more importanty in your oil loss case, slowly seep past all of the rings, ending up in your oil (hence the oil change needed before you restart).
-as the product seeps past the rings you will need to "refill" the cylinders as needed. Pending the motors ring seal condition this could be an every hour event or once a day. Using a flashlight you can see when it's time to "refill", prior to doing so turn the motor over by hand abit. This will let the rings experence a new force and maybe (hopefully) release some junk that had the ring stuck. Do this a few times and then leave for a couple days with fingers crossed
-when you return, first check if any cylinders still have liquid in them. Your viewing angle through the spark plug hole is limited so push into the spark plug hole an absorber, yep the synthetic car dryer, cut some thin strips and push them in teathered. Keep dipping till it's about dry.
- squirt in some motor oil into each cylinder, not too much but enough to coat the walls and turn the motor over by hand to coat the walls with something thicker than this seafoam solvent we've been using. Consider jacking up the passenger side to level out the motors slant. Do the absorber thing again to get the excess motor oil out of there.
-drain the oil and put in fresh anything ( it's only going to be in there for a few miles).
-crank the motor with the plugs still out and the coil wire grounded to try to get out any seafoam/ oil mix.
-put the old plugs back in and drive the thing! You will still have some funnyness comming out the back. Once it cleans up to nearly no smoke, bring the rig back in and change the oil, oil filter & spark plugs.
-tapp your heals twice and your problems are solved!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I pulled mine in through the brake booster vacuum line on the ///AMG. Only used 1/2 of a bottle, and didn't do any of the upper cylinder pouring and soaking stuff.

IMHO, sucking that stuff in through any intake-mounted vacuum line downstream of the MAF if the car is at full operating temperature will eventually make the car stall. 15 minutes with the engine off will let the Seafoam soak into any carbon deposits sufficiently to alter their chemical composition and "dry them out" so the next running of the engine will blow the ash and smoke through the system.

Now, granted, the emission control system on the 55 was WAY more specific than what we have on the 12V, and the instructions I received may have been more conservative due to the risk of damaging an O2 sensor or coating the innards of a cat (both of which are surprizingly pricey to replace in that vehicle). But seriously, Bro. The amount of benefit you would seem to get from all of that extra work just doesn't seem worth it.

Rule of thumb on the MB boards is "suck a third in, dump a third in the crank, and a third in the tank." But hey, different brands of vehicle take to different kinds of lovin'.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I Seafoamed my 90 last summer and in all honesty...it did nothing. I sucked it in through the booster and some in the gas tank. The whole idea of pouring it in the crank case scares me a little.

Also, not sure if it is a coincidence or what...but I am now having exhaust issues..a couple of leaks have popped up and it makes me wonder if the Seafoam was a contributing factor.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

probably not, it maybe just time for some exhaust work.
but poring that stuff in to your cylinders is what scaring me the most!!!