Serious help needed!!!.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious help needed!!!.......

My odometer & tripometer have stopped working. Every once and a while if I hit a bump it works for a little while and then stops again. Has anybody ever experienced this problem? What should I do? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My speedo has done that a few times....

...but yours might be a loose connection behind the instrument cluster or a bad solder in the cluster itself. I dont think the speed sensors on the engine and the tranny would die at the same time; so i think your problem might be behind the dash. good luck.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Xel

Default Re: well now u are not putting any milage on you rcar:-) hence keeping good resale value:D

pulll out the instrument cluster and see if everything is fine there. Just check the contacts and mechanics
Old 10-30-2002, 09:44 PM

Apparently the Odo / trip meter dies if you try to reset it while moving - brilliant design !!
Old 10-31-2002, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did that on my 5000, but I think its only true for that vintage of Audi.....

... I was told it can't be fixed andthat I would have needed a whole new cluster. If that same is for you then save up and get a S2 cluster ;-).
Old 10-31-2002, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Check the connections but most likely you lost the plastic gear inside the unit!!
Old 10-31-2002, 05:56 AM

Default Do you really know what makes the odometer go bad? Hmmmmm?

I realized poeple have said that resetting the odometer in motion causes it to break.

I've taken the time to disassemble my speedometer to investigate. The speedometer and odometer are both driven by an electric motor. The odometer uses a 'gear within gear' arrangement. Think of a hamster wheel where the hamster is another gear being driven by the wheel. This little plastic gear breaks up and losses a tooth or two over time. I venture to say that the plastic gets brittle with age and over-enthusiastic resetting of the odometer, in place or in motion, weakens it even further causing failure. The design itself is sound, but the materials used to make the gears are insufficient. It seems that resetting the odometer might accelerate this process, but I can't say to what extent.

As a side note, the A1 and A2 chassis VWs, as well as the Vanagons, use a completely different method to drive the odometer and they are also prone to failure; However those are easier to fix.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 90with350k... so what did you do to relieave the problem?........

I actually remember resetting the trip a few times and I was moving, so I guess thats what happened. Is it possible to replace the gear or do I have to get a whole new cluster. And if I get a new cluster, how do I get the miles to be correct. GOD THIS SUX!!!
Old 10-31-2002, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanx everybody for the hlep... I was wondering how much does the whole S2 cluster cost?
Old 10-31-2002, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Shops can fix the gear for about $100. We COULD do it ourselves BUT nobody will sell you the gear!!

Quick Reply: Serious help needed!!!.......