Serpentine belt broke new belt now no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goodys90
the motors not toast nor did i ever think that its getting spark and fuel. Im just waiting on my cam crank tools to arrive so i can do the timing belt job. it in fact did jump time. bought gasket set, removed the heads to inspect, everything is fine. no bent valves. just waiting on tools now so thanks everyone for your help. actually the only person that was helpful was the CRAZY RUSSIAN!
That hurt!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

owww...
Originally Posted by maineman
That hurt!
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

This has been educational for me. I learned the proper procedure for repairing a broken serpentine belt is to pull the cylinder heads. Just goes to show one never knows what the Audi gods will dish up next.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

btw, this is very uncommon.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

the serpentine belt shouldnt have caused anything to go wrong thats why this has been confusing for me.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Some tips for while you're there. Do the intake manifold EGR passage polish. Search the forum. Hopefully you did not break the thin wire off the sensor when you removed the intake manifold. You may need a special socket depending on which head bolts you buy. You MUST get new head bolts. I recommend getting a gun barrel cleaning rod and an appropriate sized gun barrel brush and wire brushing the head bolt threads in the block. Attach it to a drill. It will make the install job easier as there is a lot of crud down in those threads. Do have the heads resurfaced. Do the valley pan gasket while you are there. Use aviation sealant in addition to the new gasket. Break free the coolant bleeder plug in the pipe behind the drivers side head. It will never come out with the an allen socket. If you did not buy new injector o-rings, expect a massive fuel leak. What did I miss?

Last edited by hubturn; 06-23-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If we're on the "while you're in there" train, I have done the head / intake port and polish on both 12v engines I have had apart. It really does add some kick and takes a short time if you have a good die grinder.

http://12v.org/audi/imworkshop/

http://12v.org/audi/headworkshop/
Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Jeez Grill, that's kind of a sophisticated procedure in total. He'd have to split the IM, buy that Bulldozer degreaser, die grinder, etc, etc. Might add too many variables for this job and his 12v comfort level. I know how spooked I was the first time installing the new head bolts and felt one yield to torque (stretch) per spec. I'm just hoping he will use the 12V.org head gasket procedure and get it all back together and PROPERLY torqued in the correct sequence. But yeah, the port polish would be a neat thing.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True but the head part is the easiest and is best done while the heads are off. The intake manifold is doable after the fact. I actually bought an extra and did the work while the IM was off the car.

Also, I didn't do the whole glyptol thing. Just the porting and polish.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i wonder, instead of glyptol, could you use epoxy? also, dose anyone have any ideas for building up material in the cylinder head where the intake ports are?

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt broke new belt now no start