sluggish on highway, shaking, sluggish brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sluggish on highway, shaking, sluggish brakes.

Weird problems... 1995 90 Q 5speed.

Recently changed the whole strut setup from the parts car to this car (Bilstein hd with oe springs, new mounts on top)
Also swapped the Ignition module (brown square thing on top of firewall?)

Here's the problem all of a sudden.

car shakes at higher speeds even though alignment has been done. Only shakes above 70 and worse when stepping on gas. (I'm thinking maybe wheel balance and hoping not inner cv joints?)

Engine sluggish at higher RPMs say going 80 and maintaining speed on highway where as before it loves to rev and keeps going faster.

Any ideas? No pinning, no misfire felt/heard, runs very smooth. (new wires, plugs, newer coils, just cleaned MAF) (could it be the ign module be bad?)

Also the car will not lock its brakes when I slam on the pedal (pads are in good shape). I've bled it twice (2 person method and checkball contraption method) but no real improvement. I was thinking of power bleeding it or could something else be wrong? I've done that on my truck and it made a huge difference.

I usually can figure these things out, but now I'm stumped and wondering if the calipers are bad. I do notice the rear wheels are dirtier than the fronts... bad calipers? maybe contributing to sluggishness at high speeds?

thanks all.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Problems (plural)...perhaps the reason you've got zero responses thus far is...

that your asking too much at once; and each compliant is not specific enough.
When you post something to the board, take a moment to think about it from the perspective of the person who <i>might</i> answer; and don't give them a whole mixed bag of stuff to wade through. Make it something you'd want to read; and respond to.

May I suggest that you expand on one issue at a time for example, how the car "shakes above 70 and worse when stepping on gas". Where do you feel the shake? Which end of the car do you think it is coming from? When does it stop? Is it fast or slow? Does its' frequency vary with road-speed? Did you mean <i>front</i> suspension work was done, etc? If you do feel the need to expound, stick to just one unserviceability at a time.

In this fashion you might then allow someone who has perhaps had a similar experience, but only a little bit of time; to comment intelligibly on just one of your problems; and with some relevance to your situation.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I should have used better forum etiquet. I should have remembered that as I'm on several other forums too. Thanks for your help in reminding me of that.

I thought of some other things that I should try before posting again such as putting the original ignition module back in to test and see if the sluggishness gets resolved. As for the shaking, it's all over the car but more toward the engine and speeds up as speed increases, and only worse when stepping on the gas but kind of mellows out as you start coasting, I may have swap back just the original strut housing as the parts car was in an accident and maybe the strut housing from that car was tweeked...

Originally Posted by Lago Blue
that your asking too much at once; and each compliant is not specific enough.
When you post something to the board, take a moment to think about it from the perspective of the person who <i>might</i> answer; and don't give them a whole mixed bag of stuff to wade through. Make it something you'd want to read; and respond to.

May I suggest that you expand on one issue at a time for example, how the car "shakes above 70 and worse when stepping on gas". Where do you feel the shake? Which end of the car do you think it is coming from? When does it stop? Is it fast or slow? Does its' frequency vary with road-speed? Did you mean <i>front</i> suspension work was done, etc? If you do feel the need to expound, stick to just one unserviceability at a time.

In this fashion you might then allow someone who has perhaps had a similar experience, but only a little bit of time; to comment intelligibly on just one of your problems; and with some relevance to your situation.