so heres my hypothesis (or somethin) kinda long but input is needed =)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so heres my hypothesis (or somethin) kinda long but input is needed =)

ok so heres the deal..this been goin on for quiet some time but never really turned into an issue...but its bogglin my mind.

lets say i drive my car for a fair amount of time(lets say a 35 mins of driving) and ALL of my driving is highway driving(dallas freeways)...after the drive ill park my car and if i come back, say roughly within 2 hours of the last drive, and try to start up my car,...

and itll be really rough starting and sometimes take a couple cranks for it to fire up, and it itll idle a tad rough until i start driving...and AS SOON as i strart moving decent speeds the car runs great...and the more i drive it the better itll run..id say within 3-4 minutes of driving its running perfectly fine..and really this car runs really great..another thing is my car runs VERY cool,due to a new radiator, and my "custom cold air intake" this car never heats up past the first THICK white mark on the gauge..car really runs great after this short tamper tantrum...what is the deal???

ok one more thing..this keeps crossing my mind...my older bro back home always had big old broncos that he "roided" out(460)..one minor problem he had was VERY similiar to mine..what he said,.."vapor lock"---after the truck would sit all the heat from the engine would rise up and heat up the metal fuel lines totalling vaporizing the fuel..starving the engine of fuel upon restarting...once he drove it for a couple minutes it would run perfectly fine!

is this possible for my case?? ^^^
and note: im replacing my plug wires,dist cap,dist rotor all on wednesday.

what the dilly yo?!?!?!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i thought vapor lock only occured after a few weeks of sitting as opposed to a few hours?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ...

Possible vapor lock. I would say ISV/ISV controller if you were running hot. Is your crankcase hose broken at all? Check for other vacuum leaks.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

cold start valve, leaky ISV... Vtec multitronix ZX2 superseeded nitrous pre-detonation syndrome...
Old 08-20-2004, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nah, vapor lock can happen in 15 mins if ur fuel lines are draped accross somethign hot
Old 08-20-2004, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

i cleaned my ISV about a week ago..remember this problem goes away quickly..isv conrtoller tho??
Old 08-21-2004, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am not familiar with Dallas.....

Is it really hot right now? I am in area of CO where air temp can be cool, but the heat coming off of the pavement can be intense. The sun is pretty strong here. The most it has done for me is on very hot days my fuel pump will whine a bit. So temperature has messed with my fuel system, but not to the extreme of vapor lock.

Currently my 12V is running rough for the first few minutes, but I believe this is due to a O2 sensor that needs to be replaced
Old 08-21-2004, 06:05 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Classic case of bad CIS fuel injectors.

The injectors are leaking down when the car sits.
Replace all five and the fuel filter.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default isv controller...

It helps control with amount of fuel your car is getting from the air going through the isv. Usually if it is bad you'll have the starting hesitation for the first few minutes with a rough idle but then also you will run a little hot when in traffic. Fixing this problem won't be easy, it could be almost anything fuel related, start with easy (cheap) stuff and go from there. Like everyone said it could be injectors, it could be a fuel pump, it could be the ISV.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

but wouldnt fuel injectors be more of a consistent problem?

Quick Reply: so heres my hypothesis (or somethin) kinda long but input is needed =)