so I finally have a picture sig . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so I finally have a picture sig . . .

but since my car doesn't look half as nice as most of the ones on this site (except that I have cool fog lights, but that's the only exterior thing I've done) I decided to use a much cooler picture

incidentally, unlike what I said in a previous post, the yellow S1 I showed is NOT the one built for pike's peak, but this white one is . . . man, I can't wait till I drive back to colorado for the holidays! rain is fun and all, but snow . . . well, ya know!
Old 11-18-2001, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 272 cam

How do you like that cam? How much did it cost and what kind is it? Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?
Old 11-18-2001, 07:20 PM

Default Re: 272 cam - what I think about it . . .

I put in the kit from blau - all new lifters, gaskets, etc. Any noise from the valvetrain dissappeared (it had 190,000 miles on it), and it sounds a lot more aggressive at high revs, in addition to having signifacantly more "pull" above 3,000rpm (not quite like a turbo, but not bad). I've been very happy with it - it hasn't hurt my gas milage other than the fact that I like accelerating a bit more now. The only problem I see with installing one is you have to pick between maximum idle smoothness and maximum power when setting your ignition timing - if you get it so it has the most power, the idle is fairly rough. With a good custom exhaust, you might be able to make this idle sound kinda cool, but I don't know, I don't have the time or resources to experiment yet So far I've put about 3,000 miles on the cam, and haven't had any real issues once I got everything tuned to work with it - the car is certainly more fun to drive because of it, and the fact that I needed new lifters too definitely made it more than worth the $350 I spent on the kit (which as far as I can tell is the only cost effective upgrade besides a good air filter for the 10V engine short of swapping in a turbo).
Old 11-18-2001, 07:26 PM

ps - if you get a cam I'd love to know what the dyno says about it!
Old 11-18-2001, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default tuning?

What tuning did you have to do to get it to run right? I will be putting a custom 2.5" exhaust and k&n panel filter.
Old 11-18-2001, 08:36 PM

I just meant playing with ignition timing - the stock setting isn't the best for the cam . . .
Old 11-19-2001, 07:02 AM
odj
AudiWorld Member

you install the kit yourself?
Old 11-19-2001, 08:13 AM

but of course
Old 11-19-2001, 08:43 AM
odj
AudiWorld Member

Default how hard was that?

i personally don't have the ***** to take apart my engine, especially b/c my audi is my daily
Old 11-19-2001, 10:38 AM

Default ya know, just take off some bolts, pulls some stuff out . . .

it didn't take me too long - about a day (changing the timing belt was a different story since the pulley bolt was completely seized up). It was the first time I had taken this engine apart, and I didn't have my bentley yet (though I did have all the torque specs), so I took it nice and slow . . . actually changing the cam is easy, but you have to take a lot of stuff off to cleanly get to it (front grill and bumper (if you're doing the timing belt too)), the auxillary radiator has to be moved, the intake manifold/TB, and timing belt and valve covers. Complexity isn't bad, it just takes a while to take out all those bolts and then put it all back together! you are supposed to use some special tools for the oil seals, but I managed without them and it doesn't leak or anything. anyway, its a good first project if you have the time and aren't afraid of it (I happened to have access to my girlfriend's car, and I only lived 10 minutes by bike from where I was working, so even though it was my daily driver I could have survived had it been out of commission for awhile due to a mistake).

Quick Reply: so I finally have a picture sig . . .