So I glued my headliner back up today with some orange spray can adhesive stuff from crappy tire..

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I glued my headliner back up today with some orange spray can adhesive stuff from crappy tire..

Anyone taking bets on how long this will last? I actually did a really sloppy and nasty job on it, some areas you can clearly see the adhesive as it's wet. But at this point, I'm going for function over style (the rest went smoothly, just one fold that's not too noticeable).

Any advice for if this thing comes down again? I hear taking the entire headliner off in a 90Q is a big pain in the ***. Alternatives?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:10 AM

Default I had mine done professionally and it was worth the time & money.

They replaced the crap old stuff with up to date material and it looks fantastic.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine started to come off slowly... then a little faster... then a little faster...

till the whole rear of it pulled down and started flaping and filling the car with orange **** while driving down the highway with the windows down.

Needless to say... I pulled over, grabbed my knife, and cut out half of the headliner.

When I got home... I stripped out the entire headliner and backing board. Ran that car without a headliner or backing board for a year. Of course, I didn't care, cause the rest of the interior was gutted anyways.

And even with all the trim pieces removed, pulling the headliner backing board was a serious PITA... and getting it out of the car was not fun. Would be much easier with no front or rear window installed. I managed to get it out the door.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you ever added up how much you've spent on your CQ?

I'm willing to bet that you have the most expensive CQ in the world that still has largely stock mechanicals. You seem to pay someone else to do everything.

I want to be first in line when you sell it (but I know you never will).
Old 08-20-2008, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is you CQ out of storage yet? Mine is tired of being the only pearl on the streets...
Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Parts are on order - actually getting it to pass emissions testing is another story.

Worst case scenario would be that it needs injectors and a cat. I don't think it actually ever passed since I've owned it - I think the test station (now gone) that I used take it to was shady. It has always run great, just too rich. I'll be taking the intake tract back to stock before testing, just to eliminate unknowns while troubleshooting.

It will hopefully be legal again within the next few weeks. Know anyone who has a 2084 tool that they are willing to loan?

Of course I'm sure it will surprise me with more broken/worn/leaking things once I do pull it out, it has been sitting for 2 years.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I know a place in Orem... They have helped make all my 20v's pass....

2084 tool... Darin has one I believe... I need to do a TB service on mine as well... I have all the new parts waiting in a box... just need to find time.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default probably about 3 days. unless you get the foam off, it'll crumble and fall again, and the spray

adhesive will stain your headliner. My headliner in my UrS is coming down in the back, and I stapled it up just to keep it out of the way until I can get the whole thing down, foam off, and a new piece of fabric in place. I think I'm going to use alcantara. Looks great on the newer cars.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:14 PM

Default Keeping it stock makes it easier to sell it to a regular person. They don't have to worry about...

long term problems with a heavily modified car.