So I installed my EuroSport short shift kit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I installed my EuroSport short shift kit.

It's wicked nice. About 30-35% shorter throw, as advertised, and much better feel (less sloppy). I like it a lot. Well worth the $120 and 1.5 hours.

-Mike.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default took you that long? only took me 30 minutes

i didn't even take off the center part or unscrew the back ashtray
Old 11-10-2002, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EuroSport short shift kit-$120! How about DIY!

>Second, I wanted to give all you on the list an easy way to make a short Shifter for your car.
>
> Some of you may remember I was reverse engineering a short shifter kit for our cars. The plan was to remanufacture new parts that were sweet. Well, we did the prototype and ran out of steam and time. So, I thought I would share with you the solution in hopes we could collectively fine tune this.
>
> Terms:
> Selector Shaft (Shift Rod): goes to the tranny
> Gear Shift Lever: The thing your hand goes on to shift
> Main Pivot: Ball and socket mechanism that allows rocking action
>
> Currently, I have installed a 32% throw reduction prototype. I works great, however, it is notchy. We believe weighting the shift rod and joy stick to add momentum and reduce the notchy feel. This is what we did: we raised the main pivot axis by almost an inch (can remember the exact number now). We did this by replacing the main pivot with a unit from a VW Scirocco and raising the mounting platform. This modification was incredibly easy and would take about 2 hours max.
>
> Parts Needed:
> 1. Shift Pivot Assembly official name: Bearing for gearshift lever, VW PN: 171-711-247. You will need to modify this piece. There are two mounting holes which nearly line up with the mounting hole on the car (see notes below)
> 2. Pressure Spring, VW PN: 823-711-197 A
> 3. Washer VW PN: N-011-547-6
>
> Tools needed:
> 1. Snap ring pliers
> 2. One friend
> 3. Beer
> 4. Dremel
> 5. Several small open ended wrenches
> 6. About 2 hours
>
> Here is how you do it:
> 1. Remove shifter ball and boot. Remove center counsel surrounding the shifter (see 20v web site on aux. gauge bulb replacement)
2. Remove two nuts, leaf springs, and curved spacer that hold down ball housing plate. Note, you will be re-using the nuts and curved spacers.
> 3. Carefully lift out assembly have your friend hold it up while you remove the connecting bolt on the selector fork (connects to the Selector Shaft ).
> 4. With the shift assembly removed, remove the snap ring, and slide the gearshift lever out of the ball assembly.
> 5. Modify the new shift bearing mounting plate. Using a Dremel or vertical mill modify the mounting holes to look like rounded triangle pointing towards the ball. This will accommodate the narrower bolt spacing in your car. I think the bolt spacing is about 4-6mm closer. Be careful to not take
> too much material out.
> 6. Slide modified bearing onto your Gear Shift Lever, add new washer, ad new spring, add old washer, add old snap ring.
> 7. Reinstall gear shift assembly into the selector fork and tighten connecting bolt so the shifter moves smoothly but minimizes play. Have your friend help you even though they are now drunk because you have been playing with the Dremel for an hour.
> 8. Add curved spacers onto the mounting bolts. Note now they are below the shift bearing plate.
> 9. Install bearing plate and tighten nuts. Make sure the assembly is centered and the neutral position is vertical.
> 10. Test gears, make adjustments in the plate.
> 11. Reinstall counsel and other parts.
>
> This modification effectively raised the pivot point nearly one inch and reduced throw about 30-35%. I call this the BS1 (Benno Shifter 1), but you may want to call it something else.
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Mike Benno
> 90q20v (Chip, H4's, Euro H&R's, Bilstines, G60, BS1)
> A4q30vAvantSport

You can get the above listed parts ya self &amp; save! ;o)<ul><li><a href="http://home.attbi.com/~dianalynnxk/nweurosport/shifter.html">http://home.attbi.com/~dianalynnxk/nweurosport/shifter.html</a</li></ul>
Old 11-10-2002, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When I was taking the snap ring off it sprung away and got lost in a remote corner of my garage.

Plus I took all of the center trim out, and we took beer breaks (as recommended in the instructions). Of course I waited a couple hours before test driving it.

-Mike.