Strut bezel installation procedure. Step 1;...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:05 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default but all you have to do is screw it on hand-tight to hold the strut assembly together...

even if you're removing the struts from the car hand-tight will suffice. I do mine that way 2-3 times a month as its faster because the uni-torques are already there and I dont have to stop what I'm doing and go looking for another nut. It doesnt "have" to be threaded all the way down on to the strut mount as once you start jacking the car up the spring will keep tension all the way up to the strut's threaded shaft top. Just spin one on by hand and "git after it."

Any nut thats M14x1.5 will work as longs as 3-4 threads are engaged. I've yet to even use one of the jam-nuts for this purpose because other nuts are always closer, faster, more convenient.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yeah I know

I'm just tyring to test some theories out in my head and for real. I just kinda wanna do it the way I am envisioning in my head so I can confirm that what I am doing is right. If push came to shove I would just use the slotted nut at finger tight but I want to use a nut different than the uni-torque for my to compress it, more than finger tight. Its just for my satisfaction and to rule a couple things out.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:48 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default ok, long as you know that a "nut is a nut is a nut" and not any of them will make any difference

when it comes to holding the spring. As long as something is holding the spring 100% of any/all variations will not only be close but absolutely identical in EVERY aspect no matter what threaded device you choose or use to retain the spring.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just to point something out to you Mance...

not all members of the forum surf once a day. Hell, I'm sure there are people who maybe check the site once a week, or in other possible incriments.

As more of a lurker I will say that yes, you do post alot, they (your posts) are very informative about your upcoming projects and such, all of which highly benefit the forum.

Each of your posts are well thought and explain to the upmost degree the importance and/or the reason your products work the way the do.

What strikes me is that, take for instance an individual who owns a b4/b3 happens across our little fairland that is the forum. And this individual happens to see your post. He clicks on it and is fascinated by what he sees. He's curious so he asks a question, a question you have probably answered to such a depth most of us cannot comprehend the enginering behind it.

NOT ALL PEOPLE HAVE FOLLOWED SO CLOSELY YOUR PROGRESS.

My suggestion, and I say this because I don't always get to keep up to date with all your inovations. (Personally I get confused alot with which applications work and such) I would suggest if there is a way to "hot-link" the informative posts, that is the ones that spawned the most reaction and answered the most questions. And link these on your websites.

It can be quiet overwhelming the amount of information you give this forum, and back tracking through pages of archives can be confusing.

Just my 2 cents, keep up the good work, just don't flame people who aren't on top of your inovations. Your persistance to the subject is very comprhensive and telling them to STFA, even though most likely you answered their very question the day before, might be the wrong avenue.

-nick-

by the way, I'll need the SSM drilling guide next spring.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oh yeah, I understand that

its just that the slotted nut is hard to tighten by finger to the level that I want. I do not want to use the slotted nut tool if not necesary. Next, the uni-torque does the job almost too well for the purpose of what I am looking for, so I leave it as a finishing product. So I need an intermittent device that will suffice for hanging and tightening. You solved that problem for me perfectly with that jam nut so I await its arrival.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:21 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Given that so I should go "re-find" each post when someone asks and make a link to it then...

come back here and post 10-12 links so they can catch up and get on the same page!?! If I did that I wouldnt have time to make the parts I make as It'd be a full-time job making links for people that havent been around or kept up. Far easier for "them" to do that as they're the ones seeking the info. Beyond that there is no way to "hot link" every post I write here. And even if I do provide a link it means I had to go search for it. Why should I be responsible for searching/seeking out posts I've written when I dont really need the info. I think "burdon of search" should be the responsibility of the seeker rather than the author. Even my public library doesnt go find the books I'm interested in reading for me.

Besides, I fail to see the wrong in recommending people search for the topic. Especially after being told something was written about extensively over the past 2 weeks. I mean its not like I'm recommending they go back 2 years to some "once-written" vague and obscure post.

I understand people dont visit here every day. But if I have to search for a post I've written about numerous times in the past 2 weeks why/how is it better that "I" go searching for those 10-12 posts and then link all of them than recommending the interested person go searching for it and simply read them!?!

From what you're saying I should spend the time going back, linking all my dozens of posts on one subject and provide people here a link "every" time they ask me about something I've written about? Then be anxious to do the same thing for a thousand different topics I've authored. Doesnt that defeat the purpose of any search feature if burdon of search is delegated to the author who really doesnt even need the info any longer!?!

Also, I dont feel in any way that recommending someone "STFA" (Search The Forum Archives) to be, as you have suggested, "flaming" in ANY way, shape or form. On the contrary I feel it the kindest thing you can do for someone that asks a question thats been answered multiple times previously. Nor would I sense any semblence of flaming were I to ask a similar question and be told to "STFA."
Old 10-09-2006, 08:41 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok, I gotta ask. Why "exactly" do you require a slotted nut that is tighter than...

hand-tight or even loose since the spring cannot push it off either way. I'm just curious as I never worry about such things. Same with a uni-torque only screwed on hand-tight or 3-4 threads engaged or any other style nut being loose. What is it "specifically" that makes you feel any/all these nuts should be so secure just to hold something together temporarily? Especially given your Vogtland springs are rated at just over 300lbs and only one thread of any Grade 4 (jam nut) M14x1.5 fastener is capable of holding over 3 times what the spring is capable of producing. 3 threads will hold over 2800lbs. And grade 8.8 (slotted nut is over twice as strong and has over twice the thread-count). Why do you feel you need "every" thread in the nut engaged and the nut to be past hand-tight when anything more than 1/3 of 1 full thread engagement is adequate for the load you're working with?

I'm not finding fault I'm just trying really hard to understand what you're doing or trying to accomplish. Hell I can push the Vogtland spring down by hand on the strut far enough to start a nut on the threaded shaft. So all your holding back is maybe 55-60lbs with the strut mount and any nut on a Vogtland spring.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default its not so much a pressure thing

I just wanna make sure I suspend the strut "CvTech Style" while keep a little bit more than finger tightness on the springs. I just have a lot of play in my suspension recently and just want to ensure with ALL my knowledge that I am doing everything the way I know and what works best for me.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:39 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default but when the car is resting on the springs and mount. Its "as" compressed as it...

can be. By threading any nut down on to the strut mount at that point insures the mount is pressed under over 1,000lbs of pressure (less the spring rate of 300lbs) for a total of 700+lbs into the top of the strut shoulder at the base of the struts threaded shaft just by the sheer weight of the front end of a 12V B4/90. At that point even hand-tight there's not even 1/10 millionths "play" betwen the two parts. Even torquing to 10,000psi doesnt decrease any play but rather only "compresses" metal while the gap, or lack thereof remains constant.

Bottom line; there's no benefit to tighter than hand tight or with any nut over another under the cars weight no matter how tight you torque the fasteners or how many bolts you stack on top of each other and keep tightening them down. It doesnt accomplish anything but added work & complexity.

And 1.15 threads of your slotted Grade 8.8 OEM nuts is stronger than the entire Grade 4 jam nuts full thread engagement so if least gap with hand-tight is your intent you dont wanna use the jam nuts in this situation as they're dramatically weaker than the slotted nut for that kind of job. Jam nuts should not be considered "fasteners" for holding anything than other threaded fasteners from moving as thats not what they are designed to do.

But either way, let me know when it arrives...
Old 10-09-2006, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ha, for sure I will

I just need peice of mind.

Quick Reply: Strut bezel installation procedure. Step 1;...