Supercharger vs. Turbo What is better in certain situations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger vs. Turbo What is better in certain situations?

When i think of supercharger i think of great right of the line and with a turbo its the kick high end! Am i mistaken?
Old 02-13-2002, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Supercharger vs. Turbo What is better in certain situations?

Way too much to explain here. You can gear a S/C or a turbo to provide maximum power anywhere in the powerband.

The only highend only thing with turbos is when you run a huge turbo that takes a while to spool up.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Uh, isn't that the same thing (at least basically)?
Old 02-13-2002, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Very simply put....

Both force more air into the engine so you can burn more fuel and get more horsepower.

Supercharger does it with a big belt driven "blower". Heat and RPMs not bad at all.

Turbo does it with a small exhaust gas driven "blade" that turns very very fast and gets hot.

Turbos aren't "classically" as good as superchargers. A lot of large diesels run superchargers, have for years. In that application the turbos seem to do OK.

In a lot of small cars, especially Japanese ones, the turbos have been not so good.

Search the net, you will find lots of subject matter to read.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Re: Supercharger vs. Turbo What is better in certain situations?

turbos are more efficient. they return a higher percentage of the inputed work to outputed work. however, the larger the turbo, the more air is needed to turn the turbine, the longer it takes to spool. thats why the supra had sequential turbos from the factory (but aftermarket converted it to a single turbo for high boost). a supercharger is more linear, and (i think) does not change boost levels throughout the rev range (whereas the turbo increases then decreases).

which one is better? depends on the application. if you are mod'ing a box stock V engine, a supercharger will be "easy." if its inline, go with a single turbo (or get a scroll style supercharger a la G40/G60, or the ones from vortec). either one will accomplish what you want (that is, power addition).
Old 02-14-2002, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default HERE Some ....

SUPERCHARGER:
Advantages- ease of installation/management in the engine compartment, less heat buildup, immediate and linear boost, generally cheaper for generic kits, only requires change of intake tract.
Disadvantages- requires hp to run, not as efficient as turbocharger, not as much boost/hp potential when tuning, IMO doesnt sound as cool

TURBOCHARGER:
Advantages- efficiency, uses engines waste to provide intake pressure, compact package, potential for high boost/high hp applications, cooler sound.
Disadvantages- lag in spoolup (depending on size, application, and a million other things), more difficult to manage in engine compartment due to massive heat buildup, generally more expensive for generic kits, requires changing exhaust AND intake tracts.

that explain it? if you want high horsepower application and cost isnt an issue, go with a turbocharger. if you want ease of installation and modest power gains, go with a supercharger. its all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:43 AM

Default Speaking of scroll-type SCs, why hasn't anyone tried that?

Seems to me (at a casual glance at any rate) that adapting a scroll type SC would easier than a roots type blower, in that you might be able to get away with your stock IM and just change the intake track to include pipes to the SC and move the throttle body. But then again, you'd have to have a place to mount the SC, etc, etc. anyway, just a thought. nobody has mentioned the possibility before here to my knowledge...

They use the spool types on the 4.6L mustang engines which are V's, and its a pretty simple conversion (buy a cheap, plain old Mustang 4.6L GT and get over 400hp for only an extra $2.5k or so with vortrag's kit . . .)
Old 02-14-2002, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Re: Speaking of scroll-type SCs, why hasn't anyone tried that?

personally i think people are scared to do it. going into the "unknown". if i wanted a SC'd engine, i'd be building one with something like the vortech or G-lader style charger (for those that don't know about the vortec, its basically the compressor side of a turbo and is driven by a belt). they are pretty efficient too (72-79%, turbos are over 80%, roots/eatons are like 50-60%). the vortech would be by far the easiest to integrate into an i4 or i5 engine. only downside, is that they cost $1500 to 1900 from vortech.

if you want to look at the rest of the lineup, take the g-trim.html off the link below....<ul><li><a href="http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/units/g-trim.html">Vortech Superchargers</a></li></ul>
Old 02-14-2002, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Very simply put....

Nice Signature tag man...keepin' it real !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2002, 02:25 PM

Default Supercharger AND Turbocharger, POSSIBLE?

Is it possible to have both installed into your car?

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs. Turbo What is better in certain situations?