Tie Rod Adventures

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie Rod Adventures

So I set out to replace my tie rod ends yesterday and try to un-seize the side that all of the shops said was seized. I started on the side that was supposedly -not- seized. Got the nut on the tie rod end side loose, but not the inner nut. Finally decided to find out how easy it is to removed a tie rod. Figured it would be easier to loosen everything up if I could throw it in the bench vise.

WOW, that's easy! 2 bolts out, 2 bolts out, done! I was pleasantly surprised. Once I had the tie rod out, was able to loosen everything up, took it all apart, cleaned the threads with wire brush and WD40, and finally put it all back together with anti-seize paste. Hopefully I don't have this problem again for a long time. So I thought I was done with this side and re-attached the tie rod end to the strut and tightened it all down. I had to take it off again because I forgot to put on one of the sleeves. Went to take off the tie rod end nut only to find out it was stripped now, DOH! After an hour of pitman arm fun and all sorts of other contraptions, I got it off, but only by destroying the threads on my new tie rod end Luckily Checker Auto Parts had one in stock.

That was just one day, I'm going to tackle the passenger side on Saturday and see just how seized it is.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good job

I did the tie rods on my mustang this past spring. Took me a while to get the technique down (penetrating oil + propane torch + wrench + hammer)

Good luck with the seized side. Make sure you let the penetrating oil sit overnight for best results. I found that I had to leave the torch on for at least a minute so the heat could do its job.

Duncan