Tie rod ends; nut side up or nut side down? Does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod ends; nut side up or nut side down? Does it matter?

I replaced the tie rod ends on my 93 90S about a year ago (~ 6k miles) and am almost certain that I installed them "nut side up," as the Bentley manual clearly shows in many diagrams. Anyone disagree that nut side up is correct? Does it matter?

Why do I care? Well, after I installed two new ends, I headed to the friendly neighborhood tire shop and had them align the front end. Over this past weekend I noticed that the seal on one of the tie rod ends is cracked and leaking, and that both are now "nut side down." I'm wondering if the premature failure of one of the ends is due to its nut side up orientation. It looks as if either orientation would work. Any thoughts?

In any case, I think I'll replace both L and R tie rod ends (nut side up) and get an alignment at another shop. One more thing to do before winter . . . Arghh!!

- Kevin
Old 10-22-2001, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Must be up! Placing them down throws off the alignment.

Who ever placed them down messed up!

Now gravity will take effect, and all their grease will be displaced from the "ball" of the joint and make them wear more quickly.

Plus if you have lowering springs, the tierod will strike the upper portion of the wheel well opening from which it protrudes.

Take it back to where it was done and have them fix. Show'm the Bentley, and closely inspect the upper portion of the opening they stick through inside the wheel well. They may also be bent.

The shank of the tie rod end is a "taper" fit.
putting them in upside down often messes up the strut. Especially if installed with air tools!
Old 10-22-2001, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks, Miktip; Now the only problem . . .

...will be convincing the gomers who did the alignment to fix the problem free of charge.

Thanks again.

- Kevin