Timing belt - What they don't tell you

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to my last post/reply, I think that shoe broke off when I turned the exhaust cam back counter clockwise after it popped clockwise out of position while I was fumbling around with other things and bumped it.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts

It sounds like you're getting it figured out. Good! I don't think you could have caused much damage cranking over by hand. And... I'm unable to answer your questions about the CCT as I don't have experience with the 30v engine. Someone else here will surely know!

That is an interesting video! The borescope/endoscope is a nice tool to have, right? I had recently bought one and have found it so useful!
Old 02-14-2022, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by desertsage
It sounds like you're getting it figured out. Good! I don't think you could have caused much damage cranking over by hand. And... I'm unable to answer your questions about the CCT as I don't have experience with the 30v engine. Someone else here will surely know!

That is an interesting video! The borescope/endoscope is a nice tool to have, right? I had recently bought one and have found it so useful!
Yeah, The borescope is just one of those cheap ones that I grabbed off of ebay. In a way I hate it though, because it is the tool that definitively pointed out to me exactly what was wrong with my other car that the current one replaced. I have a 2004 Audi Allroad 4.2 V8 (BAS) with a 5HP19FXL out in the yard rotting away that I knew had timing issues because they're designed that way. I couldn't afford to get the "engine out" timing chain service done on it, so I drove it till it broke. The borescope let me see with my laptop the thing I dreaded seeing. A circular dent on the crown of piston #4, and a pile of carbon that chipped off of the valve stem when it was brutally assaulted and bent by the piston.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The borescope came with a 90 degree adapter which barely works at all though. I'm trying to find, or make one that works better. A 180 degree adapter would be even better for looking up and back at valves and such. I wonder if such a thing even exists.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts

I really like the one that I'd purchased from Amazon. Depstech Dual Lens. The camera can look in either or both directions at once. You can turn the light up very bright, if needed. It's great for videos, too.

I had thought that I'd dropped a piece of broken head bolt socket down the oil passageway recently and was able to cope all the way down into the crankcase past the crankshaft. I couldn't find it.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cam belt sprockets bolts

Good to see all the advice and comments. For what it’s worth, having done the job myself, the main learning was take out the front panel and rad because it’s great for an all access clean up .. and.. fit the right camshaft sprocket bolts.. I’m really grateful for earlier advice on getting the right bolts and torque for these ( more than one bolt option) and to be honest I’ve never been so careful with a torque wrench until I did this job .. all thanks to earlier advice on this forum.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had either the tool or the CCT strip out while it was compressed while I was busy getting the intake cam out. It won't thread in further, or thread out, so the bolt is either "waisted" now, or the threads on the tensioner are just gone and gripping it, or both. Whatever happened, I have a new tensioner ordered now. I'll probably be able to get it out without the tensioner fully compressed, just a bit more of a wrestling match while taking care not to ding anything.

I was considering fabbing some kind of a long reach tapparatus (get it?) to put some 1/4-20 threads into the tab on the bottom of the CCT where the tool threaded into, and thread a 1/4-20 piece of rod stock into that and put the plastic part of the tool over that to compress the CCT from the top via a nut on the rod stock. But that would possibly make a bigger mess than I could clean up with the head on the car and the limited amount of space in which to work. I opted for a new CCT.

I still need accurate information regarding the cam chain timing marks on bank 1 (passenger side) and roller counts between.

I used to have a mill and a lathe in my living room, that's why my ex-wife divorced me I think...But I sure wish I still had the, cuz this **** woulda been long done and finished. I woulda just made the tool, and it wouldn't have failed like this cheap garbage I bought did.

And I repeat:I still need accurate information regarding the cam chain timing marks on bank 1 (passenger side) and roller counts between.