tranny oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny oil change

2 quick questions: is this procedure as simple as opening the filler, removing the drain plug, letting the oil out, replacing plug, adding new oil, replacing filler cap. Are the plugs easy to get to once the car is jacked up? A previous post sort of indicated that, just want to make sure.

'94 90 cs quattro (5-spd)

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:35 AM

Default Re: tranny oil change

Yup. You just have to remove the shield around the inner cv joint to get to the upper plug. I think it has 3 or 4 allen head bolts holding it The plugs are 17mm allen head, I think. Be sure to remove the fill plug first. You don't want to drain until you are sure you can get the fill plug out! You will need a punp to fill. Use Audi synthetic fluid.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get Redline oil! Smooth shifting!
Old 03-15-2002, 05:07 PM
No Bozos!

Default You bet

Either RedLine or Neo, will make it shift more smoothly, and also keep it in one piece.

Mark
Old 03-16-2002, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default AMSOIL

I just put the AMSOIL oil in both my Tranny and rear diff.

Ever since I've owned the car I've had shifting problems into first and second when the car is cold. P.O. put redline in the tranny at my request, two months before I bought the car.

We've had some really cold days since I put the AMSOIL in...no problems what-so-ever.

-Dave
Old 03-16-2002, 04:33 PM
No Bozos!

Default Clarification

Just want to follow up.

1. P.O. put in RedLine
2. You had cold shifting pblms.
3. You changed to Amsoil (synthetic or conventional?)
4. Works better cold now

From past experience, I've found RedLine to be top notch. Recently I've changed to Neo, and have heard others with positive results. I'm not familiar with Amsoil, but am interested in any data you might have.

Mark
Old 03-17-2002, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Clarification...

1. P.O. put in RedLine
2. I had cold shifting problms.
3. I changed to Amsoil (Synthetic)
4. NO cold shifting problems
----
I have the following Amsoil Fluids in my car:

Front tranny/diff: Amsoil synthetic gear lube SAE 75W-90
Rear Diff: Amsoil S2000 Synthetic gear lube SAE 75W-90

If/When you're buying AMSOIL, ensure that your AMSOIL synthetic is in a Grey Bottle. S2000 should be in a Black bottle. Earlier AMSOIL products were bottled in clear/white bottles...the Grey is an improved product.

S2000 is their 'Race' Synthetic. I figured I'd try it out...seeing as I do Tranny/Diff oil swaps twice a year.

-Dave
Old 03-17-2002, 01:32 PM
No Bozos!

Default Thanks

Amsoil isn't a common oil in this area. I'll check around to see if anyone carries it. I'm guessing if it's their "race" synthetic, then it probably is a full synthetic, and not a blend. I think some of the differences between the upper end synthtics is probably pretty small. I am now trying Neo, after hearing about one rally driver who was having problems with losing pinions, even with RedLine. After switching to Neo, no problems. I have some dyno time coming up, and was going to try and see if there were any differences between RedLine and Neo on the charts.

Mark
Old 03-17-2002, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Neo?

hmm...never heard of Neo up here...Website?

Let me know how the dyno works out, it'll be interesting to know.

-Dave

The following link should allow you to find distributors...<ul><li><a href="http://www.amsoil.com/">Amsoil Corporate Site...</a></li></ul>
Old 03-17-2002, 04:35 PM
No Bozos!

Default Re: Neo?

This is their site, fortunately the product is better than the site. It's pretty cheesy, but the product is good.

Engine - Neo 20W-50
Rear Diff - Neo 75-90
Trans - Neo RHD
Brakes - ATE SuperBlue Race
Shocks - Neo 5W Shock Oil
Fuel - Sunoco Supreme 108 Motor Octane

I have scheduled dyno time to test ECU's. I have two ECU's in the car. One is supposed to be performance, the other a backup. I am getting the VAG software, first to document each unit's values. Secondly to see what if any difference there is between the two. I am contimplating further detuning the second (backup ECU), such that I can more safely utilize it as a means for getting me out of trouble, if having to put in some pump gas, or if overheating, etc... just to get me back safely. Also since putting in the new pistons, I want to check to make sure the old settings are still good, considering the higher compression.
Once hooked up to the dyhno it is only $65/hour for whatever you want to test, so I thought I would do some oil testing while there.

Mark<ul><li><a href="http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/">http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: tranny oil change