Trans fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans fluid question

I have a 95 Cabriolet with the 5 bolt trans pan. Is Mobil 1 synth atf ok, if not what is required?

Thanks ahead.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Should be fine, I'm not seeing any thing that says you need to use a specific transmission fluid.

Jason
Old 05-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I saw at a Friends shop, a warning in his computer database not to use dexron 3. Tjats why I ask.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have any doubt check your manuel it should tell you what kind of transmission fluid to use.

Jason
Old 05-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Indeed it says Dexron or Dexron II. I think I would have to buy that as a collectible item from someone on ebay.

In any case I would think Dexron III covers the first 2.

Again, only asking because it came up on his db at kwik kar... Doesn't mean it is true, just looking for experienced advice for fluid.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jason@ECSTuning
If you have any doubt check your manuel it should tell you what kind of transmission fluid to use.

Jason
Manuel told me to go check my Owner's Manual. He says it should be in there.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

My first recommendation? Replace your filter. For $25 at Advance Auto Parts, it's a pretty darned easy kit to replace.

Next, you'll need a bit more than 3 quarts of fluid to put in when you're done replacing your filter. On my '98 Cabriolet, I put in 2 quarts of Valvoline Maxlife DexronIII/Mercon Semi-Synthetic ATF, and then topped off (a bit less than a quart and a half) with Mobil-1 Full-synthetic ATF.

The main reason for this is the expansion of ATF when it gets hot. When I first swapped out my fluid after buying my car, I did pure Mobil-1. It worked great in cooler weather, but I started having weird shifts when the weather got hot. But... my ///AMG did the same damned thing when I first ran it on pure Mobil-1 ATF. When it happened back then, I looked on "Bob is the Oil Guy" forums, and a bunch of guys on there recommended mixing the Mobil-1 with the Maxlife. I tried it, and it worked really well. The 01N automatic in the Cabriolet likes that mix, too.

One last thing I suggest, if you have the time (and equipment). I left my old filter in the vehicle, but drained out 2 quarts of old fluid up through the dipstick hole with a Mity-Vac, then replaced it with 2 quarts of fresh fluid. I drove the car a bit more aggressively than normal for a few days, then did the same thing after about 100 miles. Drove it again for a few days, and then I drained it completely and changed out the filter. The detergents in fresh ATF can and will break down any deposits left behind by the old nasty stuff, and the nastiness will get stuck in the filter, which you're removing and replacing anyways.

IF YOU DO NOT REPLACE YOUR FILTER:
Putting fresh ATF in the system might break up the nastiness, allowing it to flow throught the system, at least partially CLOG your filter, limiting the flow of ATF, and causing your transmission to go "Fukishima #4."
Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice Loudgoldwing. I have changed the filter. I am running Mobil 1 completely now, but will try Valvoline Maxlife mix next time. Mine shifts a little hard when cold, not hot. However I have noticed a lot of expansion on the Mobil 1 when hot, cold I show 1/2 quart low, hot I am right on.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default '95 was the changeover year

for the transmission. It could be a 097 or a 01N. You have to look at the numbers, which are on the trans and suppossedly the identiplate. I don't believe that this is going to matter much. My '95 Cab has numbers 097 321 105
and CFS 22064. The CFS is a code for phase 1 transmissions manufactured from 11.92 to an unspecified date. The 22064 means June 22, 1994. There are some different numbers and codes for the 01N, and it seems to be all about some upgrade for Dynamic Shifting Program (DSP), whatever that is. (per the Bentleys). I have the Service Traing manual for the 097 transmission. Not a teardown manual, just a big picture understanding of how it works. In the photo, notice the ATF filter on the side. Mine doesn't have it and I have wondered if we can install one. Also Loudgoldwing, notice the info about the ATF cooling switch. That was some shrewd diagnosis you gave that guy about his overheating problem due to the tranny fluid and I think you were right on about it. I wouldn't have thought of it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by hubturn; 05-15-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dynamic Shifting Program =

"Slow from freeway speeds down to 30 MPH, then step on the gas... Enjoy the sluggish acceleration in torque-locked 3rd gear while our complex system of finicky sensors tries to figure out what gear you're really supposed to be in... Don't worry, we know we're smarter than you... we just need a second, here...

OK, here we go! Enjoy the heart-stopping bonus of our lovely "rev-thunk" shift when we throw you into 4th gear at 35 MPH! What's that? Free up the torque converter? No, no. We know what we're doing. Don't thank us... We know how smart we are already."

Of course, if they would have put a better tranny in this car, I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy one with only 60,000 miles on it. Thanks Audi. I hate you and love you, all at the same time.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid question