Trunk leak fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk leak fixed

Thanks for all the suggestions as to where my trunk leak was coming from. I ended up removing all the trim on the left side of the trunk and lightly hosing down the tail light area. Turns out the water was coming in through a small (about 1 cm) hole in the rear body panel. I'm not sure what the purpose of this hole is but there's one on each side.

It appears that my right rear tail light was replaced at one point and sealed up with some sort of calking. My guess is this blocked the natural drain or provided a channel for the water to come through the 1cm hole. A little silicone sealant and the water leaks stopped. Hopefully the water will now drain someplace outside! It's been 3 days and so far no signs of leaking.

Oh yeah, now that the leak is fixed the weather forcast is for clear weather for the next week, go figure!

By the way, there is some sort of electronic device (related to the remote locking maybe?)mounted in foam in a well along the right edge of the trunk. The foam is still soaking wet, hopefully whatever it is is waterproof...
Old 02-04-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Trunk leak fixed

let me tell you about trunk leaks....
im going crazy!
the car had an accident the first year it was bought in the rear,and those guys never fixed anything right!
leaks came from:gas cap,rear bumber side mounts,plus rear bumber rear mounts,small cracks on the top sides of the joints between the rear 2 fenders and the trunk,the tail lights(they didnt even think to put any rubbers there!),the antenna.

the thing is that here in greece we didnt have too much rain back in the ninties,but now....and also when we washed the car,water would appear in the trunk as well.
the result was rust in the left bottom of the trunk.

i fixed everything int rust materials,paint,water blockers and silicone of course.Now im looking for small leaks to see if everything is ok.
what can i say...you have to do a job,do it yourself...
Old 02-04-2003, 09:33 AM

Yeesch! I'm gonna check my trunk for leaks this weekend!
Old 02-04-2003, 11:02 PM

It'll be the central locking pump - told you it'd be something to do with the lights ;o)