Turn Signals Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signals Stopped Working

Just bought a '93 90cs a week ago. It's been doing well so far but the signals just stopped working. When I try to turn the signal on nothing happens. There is no clicking or arrows lighting up on the dash. When I turn the hazard on all the lights work fine. I just replaced the hazard switch with no luck (seemed to be the most common problem).

At this point I have no idea what it is. I'm hoping it's not the wiring. Could it possibly be the ignition switch? I noticed light, windows, etc... don't work if the key is turned all the way. When I move the key a notch to the left everything works fine. Maybe it's the stalk?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd like to clarify (can't edit?) that by "move the key a notch to the left" I don't mean actually turning the engine off but just moving it a little. The reason I mentioned this is because I saw that the a bad ignition switch can sometimes cause electrical prolems.

I noticed the signals were not working beforehand a couple times, so I turned the car off and on and they were working again.

Also autozone convinced me buy signal relay. Does the 90 even have one? Didn't see one in the fusebox and it appears that it is part of the hazard switch.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i think its a part of a hazard switch (dont know on top of my head) but if the ignition switch has not bean replaced, do it and just hang on to your old one just in caise;-)
Old 04-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just checked the wipers and realized they are not working either. I also wiggled the steering wheel a bit while it was parked and was unable to remove the key or start it until I wiggled it some more. Not sure if that can be related. I'm starting to think the ignition switch is the most likely problem? It definitely is working as well as it should.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

sounds like your switches on the steering wheel.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRAZY_RUSSIAN
sounds like your switches on the steering wheel.
That is what I was thinking before I noticed the switch for the wipers didn't either. They are plugged in fine and don't look burnt or anything. Could they still be the cause since they seem to be separate?

I'm thinking it's the load reduction relay, ignition switch, or faulty ground/wiring at this point. I'm about to see if I can figure out how to remove the trim to check out the load reduction relay. I read on another forum (for VW IIRC)that the load reduction and horn relay were interchangeable. I might try swapping them. I think I'll replace the ignition switch anyways since it's acting up.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i would check the fuses first, then the ignition switch, then the wiper/turn signal switch.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm having trouble removing the ignition switch from the cylinder. I undid the 2 small screws and it won't seem to come out. All i did was remove the gauge cluster to gain access to the switch. Should it just slide right out? It's dark now so I don't know if I will figure it out tonight.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if it has not bean replaced before, you have paint over the two screws. you need a really small flat head to remove the bolts, get some sort of light in there ;-)
Old 04-08-2010, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm leaning towards the ignition. Wipers and signals just don't stop working then work fine if you jiggle the ignition. If the hazards work, the wiring in front of the signal switch to the four corners is fine. For whatever reason, the power isn't getting to the wheel. Do the horns work? My recollection is the horns don't work unless the ignition is on, unlike American cars where the horn works all the time.

Quick Reply: Turn Signals Stopped Working