Upgrading speakers and head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading speakers and head unit?

I want to upgrade the speakers and head unit. I am planning on using rockford fosgate speakers and head unit. What type/size wire should I use and do I need to change the wires. I only want to change the sound system so I can receive a smooth crisp sound and have the ability to play cd's. Also what are the speaker sizes? Any suggestions as two how this system will perform? Or is there anything else I should buy?

Thanks, Thomas
Old 06-08-2004, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You can't, that won't work in a FWD B4! ;o)
Old 06-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Banned

lol damn!
Old 06-08-2004, 08:27 PM

4 inch in front 5.25 in the back, try to wire from HU manually for the best sound.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ok.....so....

here is the earth. Damn thats a sweet earth. ROUND! haha anyway....

Rockford makes a good speaker for a good price. And they seem perfect for the type of sound you want. Whiteaudi90 is right, the sizes are 4" in up front and 5.25" in the rear (components). This is what you want to go with, however, the 5.25"'s dont produce much bass at all (even for rock music), so if you can custom fabb a little bit, you can squeeze 6.5" in there, and get the bass response you want. Several people on here have done this, miktip being one. I opted to keep the 5.25's and i threw amplified 6x9's in boxes on my rear for the bass that i wanted and its perfect.

as for the wiring. You dont need to change it. Its suggested if you have the time and the willingness to do so, but its not needed. The amp for the stock rear door speaker is attached to the speaker itself, so it will be unusable, as well as the stock tweeter. the plug that comes from the head unit to that amp has 5 wires that go into it. the middle two wires (a green and a brown w/ stripe) are the positive and negative signal respetively. These are right next to eachother, so its not hard to figure out once you see it. The front wires are straight forward (theres only two, one positive, one negative). Your system will sound really nice even with the stock wiring, so i wouldnt worry about running new wires because its a hassle.

On to the back of the HU. I highly suggest shopping on crutchfield for the HU. ill post the link at the bottom. They will not only send you the HU, but you will also receive all the wiring adapters, mounting hardware, and extremely detailed and easy to follow instructions on not only the HU install, but the speaker install as well. From that point on, its pretty self-explanatory.

Sounds like you will have a nice little sound system on your hands. Make sure you get a headunit with pre-amp outputs if you plan on maybe adding a sub or two later =)<ul><li><a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8njBnAU0Fog/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?pt=0&amp;b=&amp;c=3&amp;s=0&amp;g=30 0&amp;td=1&amp;tn=1&amp;l=&amp;a=&amp;cc=01&amp;av f=N&amp;search=&amp;o=m">http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8njBnAU0Fog/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Banned

Default Thanks guys : )

I will take a look at what kind of fabricating ill have to do for the rear speaker. I am however just a little curious. The rear has two speakers if I get the rockford fosgate componet set will the small tweeter or whatever fit in that spot and if not what will I have to do to make it fit. Thanks again.

Peace, Thomas