To what extent is the rear differential rebuildable? getting quotes anywhere form $300-550 for a

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To what extent is the rear differential rebuildable? getting quotes anywhere form $300-550 for a

used one. but my guess is that the used one is in not much better shape than mine... this stupid hum is gonna cost me a pretty penny =F
Old 04-14-2005, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats wrong with your diff?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get a used one...

yours is the first i've heard to have problems. Maybe a CV issue? Brake dust sheild?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default i think the other culprit might be the drive axle... wanna get a replacement one of those too

trouble is I have limited time in which to take care of all this, so every is quick quick quick =S
Old 04-14-2005, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Ever hear...

"Proper planning ensure's proper performance?"

"****-poor planning ensure's ****-poor results?" ;O)
Old 04-14-2005, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default not sure if it's the diff, i just have suspects at the moment... still trying to solve the LOUD

hum originating from -what seems to be- the rear passenger wheel area. KoupeKrazy can back me up on how rediculously loud it is. and to be perfectly honest it's gotten to the point now where I'm not willing to ignore it any longer.

It's not wheelbearing (already replaced that)

hum volume rises & falls with travel speed, but exhibits no apparant or associated vibration whatsoever.

thinking of replacing the entire rear-end... Diff, axles, everything. Reseal and regrease everything as a preventative measure and then see where I end up.

check yah later
Old 04-14-2005, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

k.. i'll pay your plane ticket & u come up here and figure out my noise =P
Old 04-14-2005, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Have you rotated the tire?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Checked the oil level in the diff?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default good description vvvv

best i can do. i've brought this thing up numerous times... guess nobody cares enough to remember my goings-on.

year and a half ago i thumped the Pax rear wheel into a low curb (snowy parking-lot action), but not very hard. ever since then it hummed very very softly... i could barely hear it at any speed for months, but it did gradually grow louder and develop more defined pitches at various speeds. Now it's to the point that i can't hardly hear the engine, i can sortof hear the exhaust, and I have to turn up the stereo a bunch more. Also impinges on rear-passenger conversation.

replaced wheelbearing as a measure towards fixing the hum, but that did ****all. I'm thinking that when I initially side loaded that rear-corner drivetrain it either pushed or bent something ever so slightly out of wack. that's why it was so quiet 18months ago... and now Thousands of kilometers later it's been wearing & tearing and becoming louder.

thoughts? ever heard of this before.... is there a precedent for a defined rear hum. I had heard of "old Audi rear differential hum" before but wasn't sure if that was my case. In any event everything seems to stem from me side-impacting that rear corner, and so now I haveta fix it before I go up to Northern Alberta where NOBODY has ever heard of Audi =(

checky yah later

Quick Reply: To what extent is the rear differential rebuildable? getting quotes anywhere form $300-550 for a