what kind of diiference would a 10lb flywheel make on a NA 7a?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of diiference would a 10lb flywheel make on a NA 7a?

driving wise. would it be quicker response on a roll, but harder to get going? or better response troughout the rpm range. trying to make up a bit for the ****e gearing in the coupe.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you seen these posts on the subject....

....<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/314889.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/314889.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-29-2005, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default To my understanding it will decrease rotational mass on the crank

You probably won't feel much.

I dunno, a slightly quicker response. Probably won't do much for your poor gearing.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

waiting for Dave (OWDLVR) to post... he just installed his 9lb flywheel this weekend in his 10v
Old 08-29-2005, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Won't make a difference while in-gear, will make a difference when shifting.

Getting started from a stop will just take getting used to.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: what kind of diiference would a 10lb flywheel make on a NA 7a?

i've got a brand-new fidanza flywheel for the 7a if you are interested...e-mail me if you are curious.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:03 PM

Default A HUGE one!

the_natrix on Motorgeek ran the calcs, and in first gear it would be like you removed 238lb from the car, just in inertial losses! The standard boat anchor really is heavy!

Sam
Old 08-29-2005, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here's what I think.

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/314926.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/314926.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-30-2005, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's not right. It will rev much faster in gear, especially lower gears. Launching will be

different as you said.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Doug's right...just installed it

I recieved two units from Fidanza over the past two years. The first was a 12lb unit that was supposed to go in a 20vT project that is a little behind in timing. The second unit was a 9lb unit, that based on their website seems to be the standard unit now.

I'm running a 7A flywheel, clutch and pressure plate combo in my NG engine. So, 240mm clutch package instead of the 220mm.

We buttoned up the car on saturday night around 8pm, and I rally crossed it the next day on the new setup at 11am. I had some highway driving in between, but nothing to get really 'used' to it.

What do you get?

- The revs drop like an anvil when you put the clutch in. With the old flywheel they would slowly come down, now they just drop.

- Car pulls much further in the rev range. The car used to pull from about 2500 to about 4500. Anything past that was just making noise. Now it feels as though it is pulling to 5500, maybe even six grand. I'm not 100% sure, I just know I'm revving much higher in each gear before a shift now. Much more then I used to.

- You lose some low end grunt. One of my favourite features of the Audi is all the low end grunt it has, you're going to lose some. It doesn't pull away as strongly in the lower RPM range as it used to.

My initial reaction to Doug was that I didn't like it. For the rallying we do a heavy flywheel isn't a bad thing, as it's nice to have some grunt way down low. Nearer to the end of the day, however, I may have been getting used to revving the car up much higher and it wsan't bothering me nearly as much.

For now, I'm willing to chalk it up to the flywheel being 'new' to me.

I stalled it twice leaving the shop for the first time, doing my usual 2nd gear starts from stop-signs...took a moment to get used to it. My heel-toe action is a little rusty, because the revs drop so quickly my brain hasn't caught up to the new action required. I had no issues with hard launches at the rallyX, Doug can attest to the fact that I hold it at about 5500rpm and just drop my foot off the side of the clutch to start. Not sure I'd be trying that on pavement...but on gravel it was working quite well.

Driving around on the street, I can see that this flywheel is going to be a heck of a lot of fun on my usual autocross course, and likely the track day I'm planning on doing in september. The heel toe is getting there, but if I keep the revs up where I am now I'm going to need to think about toning down the exhaust :P

Running the stock N/A 10v, I'm not sure the upgrade is worth it. What I've lost in low end I'll likely move 'back' down the rpm range with my adjustable timing gear. So will I be any further ahead? Not sure.

On a turbo motor, however, I can see this thing being absolutely incredible.

-Dave

Quick Reply: what kind of diiference would a 10lb flywheel make on a NA 7a?