"Whirring" noise coming from the front

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Whirring" noise coming from the front

I was thinking it could be the front diff needing some fluid, as it is speed related, but I'm not sure. How would I add fluid to it? Audi20v.net is down right now, and that's usually my go-to spot for the sort of thing. Anyone know where the fill plug is located?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Year? Engine? Trans?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

whoops. sorry. 1990 audi coupe qauttro. 20v
Old 06-10-2013, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front diff is claimed to be filled for life, unless you have a leak and all the gear lube ran out it's doubtful.

Whirling noise is generally the waterpump or a bearing like the tensioner or idler.

Last time you did a t-belt job? This could be early warning they are old and tired and the belt will be as well.

speed [rpm] is a audible clue if it becomes louder with speed.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's wheel speed noise related, not rpm speed related
Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So your saying it's not engine related but something in the suspension?
In that case most likely the wheel bearing
Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't think so, I have a left wheel bearing going and it's a completely different noise
Old 06-11-2013, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well there are only so many items that oscillate which could produce a noise, obviously something turning.

If it's not in the engine and something turning or the wheels I can't think of what could be left that would produce such a noise.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was experiencing the same sort of problem. A whirring sound that seemed to show up at certain speeds - took car to the dealership and they replaced a wheel bearing (covered under extended warranty). They also said I have uneven tread wear on my tires and that I should consider replacing them soon... but the problem seemed to be dramatically reduced when they replaced the wheel bearing. I have also had my waterpump replaced as egp320i mentioned, so not sure if that could be related.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stAudiNJ
I was experiencing the same sort of problem. A whirring sound that seemed to show up at certain speeds - took car to the dealership and they replaced a wheel bearing (covered under extended warranty). They also said I have uneven tread wear on my tires and that I should consider replacing them soon... but the problem seemed to be dramatically reduced when they replaced the wheel bearing. I have also had my waterpump replaced as egp320i mentioned, so not sure if that could be related.
If its speed related (moving) then something (rotating) is touching something (stationary)
First logical thing would be the bearing. Even is they are replaced it, they could screw up one-two things. Ive seen jobs by audi techs. Double check that.
If we can eliminate that, then: axle, wheel (rim), brake disk, brake dust shield is touching something. did you check them for marks, shine markings?

You should give us more info, try to describe it more, more details, because we cant see it, hear it. Maybe a video w/ audio?

Quick Reply: "Whirring" noise coming from the front