woofer - space under drivers seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woofer - space under drivers seat

hello all,

I'm trying to get a small subwoofer fitted to my audi cabriolet. was thinking of under the drivers seat and one of the flatter, active powered woofers such as:

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/695-panasonic-active-subwoofers.html

or

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/spkr0_2.asp

Does anybody know whether this will fit under the drivers seat? surely one of you must have tried to fit an amp under there!!!

Dimensions are roughly: 210wide x 80high x 300deep (millimeters).

any advice appreciated.

regards,

mick.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Re: woofer - space under drivers seat

Well, knowing what both my seat, and the A4's look like underneath (power for me, manual for the A4), I doubt it would fit there. I'd probably mount it where the factory did, which is the "vertical" bulkhead that supports the rear seat. If your car has the ski-sack (aka long-load aperature) then this is ideal, as you can remove that, and mount a 6.5-8" sub with a small box built around it to that space.

The factory Cabrio active-woofer has a quick release mounting system, btw.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:12 AM

Default you could possibly put it in your trunk, and have like a custom "hole" into the cabin, or just put

any subs in your trunk, sure, the convertible kills the bass, but use some dynamat, and you should be set
Old 02-05-2003, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: you could possibly put it in your trunk, and have like a custom "hole" into the cabin, or just p

The Cabrio has a detachable long-load aperature, so it has a hole already...Atleast the '98 does.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:40 AM

Default Re: you could possibly put it in your trunk, and have like a custom "hole" into the cabin, or just p

hmmmm,

thanks for the advice. I was trying to really to not use the classic ski-hole space... long story as to why.

more hmmm.

just to say: it's a year 2000 (older shape) cabrio, not an A4 cabrio... will let you know how I get on.

In the meantime if any of you cabrio owners want to look under your driver's seats and let me know if it would fit I would appreciate it (mine's at the garage so can't measure right now).

thanks to all.

mick.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The Cabrio seats are the same as the A4/90/CQ, so read what I said before.

If its got power seats, and you are tall and have to crank the seat down, you'll hit the sub. Even with a manual adjust seat, you'll likely hit the sub for sure (there are motors, control boxes, etc under the seat). At over 3.1" tall for the enclosure, you just don't have much room to put it there. My CQ has a heater duct and wiring underneath as well, severely limiting space. The manual cars are slightly better, but they still have the duct and the odd hump to accomodate the seat fore/aft adjustment.

And, I do know what a '00 Cabrio looks like. I helped my sister buy a '98 when she was overseas, and drove it a fair amount before she even knew I found her one. If I didn't know what the under seat area looked, like, I wouldn't have responded in the first place.

I'd do a quick-release setup like the factory sub (which is in the '98, and its pretty slick) so you can still use the long-load capability. The long load stuff is installed all the time, but the sub can be removed "easily." If my sister can remove the sub, I think you can handle it.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:50 PM

cuatrokoop,

great advice - lots of info thanks.
I'll let you know how I get on.

regards,

mick.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:47 AM

great job done by "finsbury car audio": replaced all 4 speakers, Blaukpunkt Los Angeles head unit, 600w sub-woofer and amp in the back against the rear shelf.

looks neat and tidy, sounds nice and full.

thanks for the advice - just waiting for LEDs in the post for a all-round LED replacement now...

mick.