Would someone tell me the step by step process of...............

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would someone tell me the step by step process of...............

replacing the CV boot, both front and rear?
Old 07-09-2006, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default This might help...

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc27.shtml">CV Boot/Joint Repair</a>

and

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel37.shtml">CV Boot Replacement</a>

I used this tip... worked great.
"Here's a tip from Rob Andrews:
You don't even need to remove the half-shaft if it is the outer boot. Once you get the CV joint seperated from the wheel bearing housing, stick the bolt back through the CV joint and just keep tightening it down. It'll pull the joint right off the shaft. In fact, the "special" audi tool does, the same thing, except it has a dimple on the bolt to center it on the driveshaft. If you look at the end of the driveshaft, there is a recession in it for that dimple. But that special tool is not necessary. I've done tons of joints with this method."
Old 07-09-2006, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes. That helps a lot. Thank you.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:41 PM

Default CV Joint job may have been bad

I have a looong saga... it all started with a CV joint job...
So our 2000 A6 manual transmission sedan needed new CV boots (got the grinding/ clicking noise on all our turns, etc). 2 different mechanics in the area recommended we refurbish our axles.

A mechanic's shop in New Brunswick agreed to do the 2 axles for $560. When we got the car back it was vibrating horrendously, even at 25 mph! We took it back to the shop, the mechanics were convinced the vibrations were caused by the wheels... they had the wheels balanced, had the rotors cut and cleane, but the vibration continued. They asked us to get a diagnostic done at the dealership. The dealership said it was definitely a bad axle job. The mechanics disagreed, but had the axles reinstalled just to satisfy us (they said). Still vibrating. At that point they were at a loss, but insisted that the problem was not the axle, and that the dealers should open up the dashboard to find the source.

We took it to a dealership in Rahway. They were convinced it was the driver side axle that was badly refurbished. However, they refurbished the driver side axle, and there were *still* vibrations. At this point the manager of the dealership told us he wouldn't charge us for the job. He's convinced we have a transmission problem, which would cost almost as much as the car is now worth to fix. He said they put the car in gear while the axles were out &amp; it vibrated. They used a stethoscope on the trans and heard vibrations.

We took it to AAMCO to get a decent estimate, and they said it's *not* the transmission. They're convinced the low hum they hear in the trans could not cause the vibrations. They can't guarantee that the problem is with the axle though, it may also be a drive shaft problem they said.

So now we're looking at paying AAMCO to take out the drive shaft, see if the car still vibrates, and if it still does we'll have to pay they for their labor. Then they'll charge $665 per axle (because they can't find any old axles to refurbished, and ours have apparently been redone too many times now).

Can anyone tell me if they've had a similar situation? Our car NEVER vibrated like this before we had the initial axle job done, but even the dealership says the problem isn't with the axles...

Thank