X-plug o-ring keeps blowing out

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-plug o-ring keeps blowing out

A while ago on a long-ish road trip the 90q20v vomited a great deal of pentosin out of the xplug on the hydraulic pump. I limped it home, topped up the goo and it worked for a while.

Several days later I got the familiar low speed groaning and noticed a little bit of seepage coming from the xplug. I topped up the pentosin again, but later that weekend there was a significant amount of fluid escaping the pump. Limped it home again.

Finally got around to replacing the o-ring with the closest match I could find from napa. Took it for a test drive, and the o-ring managed to basically shred itself and work its way out from under the plug, accompanied by a lot of fluid.

Tossed in another O-ring and everything was cool. Now today I noticed the o-ring has escaped again and more fluid is escaping. I didnt push the car hard with the new ring, and the plug was as tight as I could get it. Is there something special about the OEM o-ring (material, construction, size, etc) that would stop it from blowing out like this? Any other ideas?

On a side note: I didn't realize that the plug was spring loaded when I was taking it out. I think I may have dropped a piece that was between the spring and the plug, but I can't be sure. Would this piece contribute to the issue?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common problem.

I hear about it a lot more on the Urs4/Urs6 though (uses same pump). They often replace the o-ring (OEM) and the metal plug for a good seal or it keeps failing.

I think there's a rod and spring under that x-plug. I gotta remove it when I do the vacuum assist swap and bomb delete.

Search more about the x-plug problems on the Urs4 forum<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/154636.phtml">S-car FAQ</a></li></ul>
Old 08-20-2008, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Do a search on here regarding this...

That is NOT a plug, it's a cylinder head for a piston.

You have over-tightened the cylinder head, crushing the o-ring into the bore of the cylinder. The piston and spring have done the damage to the o-ring.

You have a tandem hydraulic pump, one section is a piston pump the other is a gear pump.