Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

1 series > A3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 series > A3?

Since A3 Quattro isn't even full-time all wheel (most of the time it's just fwd), I guess 1 series has way better handling than the A3. Any A3 driver here who has actually test-driven a BMW 1 would beg to differ?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default However the 1 series is very nasty inside, much smaller, engines suck and there will be no hatch

version.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:46 PM

it should handle just fine, I am expecting something like an A4 or something.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Audi Enthusiast

"1 series has way better handling than the A3" - care to quote your source or elaborate?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Negative...quattro is full-time all wheel drive.

Ok, 1-Series v. A3 sportback, which is better?

Basically, it depends on you really. I have included my own opinions of the cars below. I will compare the 2.0 petrol cars as the 120i is a 150hp, 38mpg car and the 2.0FSI is a 150hp, 38mpg car.

<B>1 Series Driving </B>
The 1-Series does have a better ballanced driving experience. Steering has good feedback and the power from the rear makes it fun in corners. As a sporting car for country lanes, it is a riot. However, the problem is that there is no power in the 120i low down. Powering out of them is hardly the same amount of fun one gets in a 325i. To get the power in the 120i, you need to keep the revs between 3500 and 4500 to really enjoy the car. I am not one who enjoys driving like a boy-racer with the revs so high.

<B>A3 Sportback Driving </B>
The A3's steering is a bit dull, but by no means bad. The wheel seems slightly detatched from the wheels up front. Personally, I feel that Audi adds too much power to the power steering, but this is only a minor gripe. The 2.0FSI has the low down torque which helps with acceleration and around town stuff, but there is no sweet spot as there is in the Beemer. Cruising through the same kinds of corners the A3 felt well planted, but the FWD let it down. The car stayed planted, but it just did not have the same fun factor the 1 did.

<B>1-Series Interior</B>
The plastics and materials inside the car reminded me more of an Acura or Honda than a BMW. The buttons felt cheap and un-loved. To put it in perspective, the Mini has better buttons (tactile and look wise). I drove a car with leather seats; they are good and hold you in place, but do not have the same sport-hugging seats in the A3. The dash was also uninspired. I used to love the 90s style dashes in the BMWs, but now they all look too bland and cheap.
Jumping in the rear is awkward. It is like getting into the old A3 5Dr, a tight squeeze. Not to mention, with the driver's seat positioned for me (5'10"), there is just enough room for a passenger behind, although tight. Further, the narrow body does not allow 3 across the rear bench in any form of comfort. I had not problem with the boot size either. It seemed adequate for day-to-day runs.

<B>Audi A3 Sportback</B>
The interrior on this car is great. The materials feel the same as in my S4. I am not the biggest fan of the circular air-vents, but can deal with them. The seats are extremely comfortable (even the cloth ones). The dash does not try to be anything fancy, just a good place to command your sport-hatch. My only gripe about it is both the lack of cup-holders and arm-rest. These are simple, little things that would make the car that much more attractive.
The rear seats and entry are much better than the 1. I would say that it is almost like getting in the back of an A4 Avant there is that much room. The boot also gives plenty of space to tote around your stuff.

<B>Pricing</B>
I group this together because they are both really expensive hatchbacks. For the same price as the base 2.0FSI and 120i you could get a base MkV Golf GTI with 200hp. The Audi is better equipped at a lower price point. Configuring the cars equivalently, the 1 series works out about 1500GBP more than the A3.

<B>Verdict</B>
I would say it is your own utility that makes the decision. It is the use of the car and whether or not the propellor or four rings draws you more. The 120i is a great driving car but its utility as a luxury hatchback is marred by the 'wanting' interior. The A3 is a good driving car that has a fantastic interior that accomplishes the luxury hatchback marque in my book.

<B>My Personal Choice</B>
I compared apples for apples in this post. 2 litre power plants on like cars. However, if you want something that is a true sport hatch, let me turn your attention to the 2.0T FSI and the 3.2 cars. These things are great! Driving the 3.2 DSG Quattro reminded me so much of my S4 it was scary. Power delivery and everything was sublime. However, insurance and fuel costs made me choose the 2.0T FSI Quattro. It moves, it has space, and best of all, it is cheaper than the equally equipped 120d!

Quattro makes these cars handle so much better it is unreal. I took them both (2.0T FSI Quattro and 3.2 Quattro DSG) out on a rainy day. Both stuck to the road like glue and happily threw themselves around the roads. My A2 on the otherhand was far from being as sure footed at equal speeds. If you have your doubts, go test drive a 1.8T FWD and a 1.8T Quattro around some twisties (if you can find them in the US). You will see what I mean.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: However the 1 series is very nasty inside... corrections

Huh?

* The 1 series for sale now in many markets is a 5 door hatch.
* The 3.0 litre straight 6 engine has just been released.... 258PS, 300NM, 0-100kmh/62mph in 6.2s, in a sweet BMW 6 cyl doesn't sound like it would suck to me
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/76138
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/76050
* Various European press sources - EVO and CAR spring to mind - have commended the 1 series on its' class leading handling

As you say, the A3 sportback is very well packaged, the 2.0TFSI and 3.2V6 are great drivetrains, and there is the quattro advantage also.

It comes down to personal preference, but let's not replace facts with unfounded speculation!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:47 PM

thats what i thought, but i thought maybe i was wrong
Old 03-01-2005, 03:49 PM

Default it may be the "Ultimate MAchine Driving" but lately they have lost there elegance...

heres my opinion summed up in less than a sentence. Audi &gt; BMW
Old 03-01-2005, 03:50 PM

no
Old 03-01-2005, 03:57 PM

I dont think the 130i is a straight 6 its a V6 isnt it?

Quick Reply: 1 series > A3?