Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

2.0T vs. 3.2 .....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0T vs. 3.2 .....

Does quattro make that much difference and is it the new 60/40 split quattro? Why doesn't audiusa have the weight of their cars on their website!!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default of course it makes that much of a difference,....

hello?

and no, the a3 uses a haldex coupling for front to rear, it is not 60/40.

it is front wheel drive, until it detects 15 degrees of slip at a wheel, then it transfers power to rears. it happens in such a micro-second, that it's coming and going is virtually unnoticeable uphill, over bumps, on gravel or snow, unless you're really on the throttle. you do notice it then, but it still works seemlessly.
and, if you go in and look back at it's logs with the vag-com, you'd be surprised how constantly actice the haldex unit is, even in normal, dry pavement driving.

you also have true four wheel drive, this coupling of the front to the rear has the ability to lock 100%, and below 25 mph, i believe, the a3's front and rear diffs can electronically lock if they sense they need to. with three wheels on rollers and a mountable obstacle in front of the fourth, your haldex equipped a3 would send it's power to that wheel, and climb away.

there are also electronic performance upgrades for your haldex unit, allowing it to sense rapid throttle input from your twinkle toes, thru your ecu via the throttle positioning sensor, and engage the rears, prior to any slippage, 'anticipating' the need for rear end traction ahead of time. the upgrades also change the rates of engagement and disengagement of the rears, and there is also an option for switchability.

and, the weights are clearly on the audiusa website- 2.0t is 3329 , and 3.2Q is 3660
Old 12-10-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Audiusa.com had weights on their website last year...

and as I recall, the 3.2 DSG Q was 350-400 lbs. heavier than the 2.0T. I guess that is why it is not as quick (to 60 or 1/4 mile) as the 2.0T (according to R&T) even with more torque and HP.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice lesson on the how the quattro works. Stuff I didn't know yet.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that's not how quattro works,....

that's how <i>haldex</i> quattro works. <i>torsen</i> quattro works differently.

a3, tt, r32 = haldex
a4, a6, passat, etc = torsen
Old 12-10-2006, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

So whats the diff? Is one better than the other?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much and No, they probably dont list the weights cause their cars are too heavey
Old 12-10-2006, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torsen is a mechanical limited slip center differential. Power flows to all wheels 100% of the time

with the ability to send varying amounts based on grip. The upside is that power is always going to all wheels, so there is no reaction time to speak of. The downside is that you have awd driveline losses happening all of the time, whether awd is needed or not. Perhaps more sturdy over the long haul, but the individual client is unable to change the normal bias (usually 50%front/50%rear) unless you're willing to replace the entire Torsen unit (think Stasis offers one) which is expensive.

Electronically controlled awd has traditionally been looked down upon as requiring time for the computer to figure it out, and creating a dependancy on what is built into the car from the factory. However, with Haldex working in concert with the electronic throttle and stability control, it is now easier to change the bias for just one set of parameters and leave the rest intact. Who knows? Maybe someday soon we'll see see switchable Haldex that allows us to have a sport mode with an aggressive rwd bias for fun driving, and a normal safe mode, for times when traction is limited.

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/traction/tech_traction_4wd_2.htm#Torsen

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/traction/tech_traction_4wd_21.htm#Haldex

I'm sure others here can go into more detail.<ul><li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haldex">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haldex</a</li></ul>
Old 12-10-2006, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not better, just different,....

there was a recent post on the vortex, a crosspost from a mitsubishi evo forum.... "mitsu's the best,.... subie's the best, nissan's ATTESA-ETS... honda's SH-AWD is the best,....audi pioneered so they are the best,....haldex is the best.., <i>blah, blah, blah,</i>

<B>there is no best. period. penn and teller proved it.</B>

between the audis, torsen and haldex, i have owned both, and prefer the haldex, but i could be biased because my torsen was hooked up to 180hp in my a4, and my haldex is connected to 260hp(soon to be 340) in my r32, and so the r32 is way more fun.

if you are an engineer, or a wannabe, and really want to know the differences, do a search for haldex and torsen, here on audiwhirled, and on the vortex, and you'll get as much info as you can handle. boki cannot best properly explain the differences between the two, and judgegravel is totally useless on the subject
Old 12-10-2006, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

not much ? haha ha ha haha ha ! oh man, here comes the judge

Quick Reply: 2.0T vs. 3.2 .....