Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

2010 A3 Roof Rails

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 A3 Roof Rails

I have done a ton of research on this board but can not find what I am looking for so I am reaching out for some help.

I have a 2010 A3 with the skyview

I am looking to buy the OEM aluminum roof rails because I need to carry our bikes and I know the Thule feet will scratch up the paint unless I have the stock roof rails.

So my question is where can I get them? I called my local Audi dealer and they want $1,050.00 for them. Crazy!! from what I have read they are $500.00
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...27&postcount=5

Has anyone purchased these for their 2010 A3 yet? How much was the install?

Thanks for the help

Just in case their is any confusion these are the rails I am talking about
Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

oops forgot to attach that last link
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1989429
Old 02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think $500 is for the cross bar. If you dont have the roof rails (they go front to back) then the price quoted is about right. It is a pain to install and request drilling your roof to mount.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

$500 is what it costs to have the lengthwise roof rails (either black or aluminum) installed at the factory -- at least that's what Audi charges for it when you do a custom order, and that's the price that shows up on the sticker. That's according to the Audi USA website -- my A3 (coming first week of March) doesn't have them.

Aftermarket cost seems to be somewhat higher -- I suspect the labor costs would be significantly higher to do the install after the car is off the production line. Also, there's probably a retail markup on the parts.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yea that is what i thought, they should be $500 does anyone happen to know where i can buy them? the dealership here is trying to charge me $1000 which is outrageous.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:34 AM
BDI
AudiWorld Member

I have them on my 2010. They were $500 if you order them when you order your car.

I assume that you already have your car and want to add them now?? If that's the case, just get and aftermarket kit and put pieces of 3M clear bra's where the mounts are. It won't get scratched.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yea I already have my car I am looking to buy the OEM rails and have a bodyshop install them.
It is actually more than the scratches I am looking to avoid by using the stock rails. I have had a aftermarket setup before on another car and the clamps left permanent bends in the rubber moulding around the door which after a while meant when the rack was not on there was more noise and eventually water and air getting in where the mount was.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 PM
BDI
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shane_m
Yea I already have my car I am looking to buy the OEM rails and have a bodyshop install them.
It is actually more than the scratches I am looking to avoid by using the stock rails. I have had a aftermarket setup before on another car and the clamps left permanent bends in the rubber moulding around the door which after a while meant when the rack was not on there was more noise and eventually water and air getting in where the mount was.
I just bought the euro Thule aero kit for the oem rails. Keep in mind with this setup you will not be able to open the sun roof if you have open sky.

I was going to get the oem cross bars but they just sit too high.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was thinking of getting the Whispbar rack if I can find the roof rails for a decent price, I am not sure if they work with the opensky or not I suppose I should ask
Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
BDI
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shane_m
I was thinking of getting the Whispbar rack if I can find the roof rails for a decent price, I am not sure if they work with the opensky or not I suppose I should ask

I just saw the whisbar rack post on vortex. I asked them if the open sky would work with their racks. Waiting for a reply.

I'm gonna be pissed if the whispbar rack works with open sky because I just recieved my Thule kit and I got the aerobars powdercoated black to match the black bars. lol

Quick Reply: 2010 A3 Roof Rails