Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

2011 A3 with clutch noise - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 A3 with clutch noise - HELP!

I bought a 2011 A3 Dec 2015 with 43k miles. Noticed right away a noise when the clutch reached the engagement point. This noise generally goes away once the engine warms up but I'm starting to hear it even after the engine has warmed up. A vibration occurs in the clutch pedal at the same time the noise is heard.

Happens in both forward and reverse.

The link below is to a video that captures the sound. Generally the sound is much longer and louder than what's in the video. Pedestrians sometimes turn to look to see what car is making noise.

Needs a new pressure plate and disc, right? What about the DMF? Replace that as well? At $600 USD for the DMF I want to get someone else's opinion before I fix something that's not broken.

Appreciate the replies.

- john

---
Snoqualmie, WA
Old 01-23-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

John,

Sadly, I can't offer any insights to your issue but I have noticed the same sound on my 2012 A3 w/ 75k miles for the last few months. I am wondering if you wound up fixing it and what it took to complete the repair.

Thanks!
Alex

Originally Posted by onp2006
I bought a 2011 A3 Dec 2015 with 43k miles. Noticed right away a noise when the clutch reached the engagement point. This noise generally goes away once the engine warms up but I'm starting to hear it even after the engine has warmed up. A vibration occurs in the clutch pedal at the same time the noise is heard.

Happens in both forward and reverse.

The link below is to a video that captures the sound. Generally the sound is much longer and louder than what's in the video. Pedestrians sometimes turn to look to see what car is making noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lg3yCB81XY

Needs a new pressure plate and disc, right? What about the DMF? Replace that as well? At $600 USD for the DMF I want to get someone else's opinion before I fix something that's not broken.

Appreciate the replies.

- john

---
Snoqualmie, WA
Old 01-23-2017, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Alex,

I never got a second opinion, even from some local shops I had queried.

Anyways I got sick of the noise and in Aug I removed the transmission. The clutch/pressure plate, DMF and release (throw-out) bearing all needed to be replaced.

A little over 13 hours of labor. Really great project and the noise and vibrations are completely gone.

Was a pretty straight forward repair. The only thing that took longer than I expected was disconnecting numerous electrical connectors. Setting the torque on the DMF/crankshaft bolts was also a bit challenging but only because I was using short XZN sockets and was improvising a method to hold the DMF in place.

Best theory I've got is the release bearing started to leak fluid which then got onto the DMF and pressure plate. These surfaces then started to rust which resulted in noise and vibration. Only problem with this is I didn't find any fluid on either the DMF or pressure plate.

In any regard it's a much more enjoyable ride now.

HTH

- john