Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

2011 Audi A3 TDI Reliablity?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Audi A3 TDI Reliablity?

My dad has an 2011 Audi A3 TDI with 72k miles. Has the Bose Stereo, Navigation, and the Sport (?) trim package. Looking to buy it from him as a daily driver (20k miles per year). I want to know what typically goes wrong with these cars. He bought it as an extra car for a vacation home and hasn't had it long but everything works at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated. For a car like this I would budget $1.5k per year for repairs...does that seem in line? What should I watch out for?
Old 12-10-2019, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also, these cars have dual clutch transmissions correct? How reliable are these and how often do the clutches need to be replaced (and for how much)?
Old 12-11-2019, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a 2012 A3 TDI and have no issues, I am at 84K. You want to make sure to do regular oil changes and rotate tires regularly. As for dual clutch transmission I wouldn't change fluid till 100K. I will change the timing belt around that millage as well. Audi says change timing belt at 110K or around then. I will do it before that. I installed a Frost heater and that was a game changer for cold weather. Engine warms up twice as fast and you have warm air immediately. When its cold warm it up for a minute or two and drive it. TDI motors don't get warm until you drive them. I have a buddy who always warms his up 15-20 min before he drives it. He is wasting fuel and could be doing long term damage to the motor. If you live where it's really cold buy some Power Service for the fuel when you fill up. This will keep the diesel from gelling. My motor seems to run better as well. A3 TDI is a great car just be diligent on the maintenance.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with alpine4 about doing a timing belt and transmission fluid drain-and-refill (as opposed to a full change), along with a tranny filter (easy peasy to change). If you do your own work, I'd say $1500 a year is much more than enough. If you go to an Audi dealer service department, they can spend that before you have any "real problem". ;-) And happily (since my A3 has the dual clutch tranny) the feedback I've gotten from those I've talked to seems to indicate that they haven't had many problems with them. That kind of makes sense, since they don't have a torque converter and all the heat and wear that comes with them. I sure hope so because the dual clutch tranny is the only automatic I've ever owned that I didn't hate.

And as with any car, part of the trick is to keep the fluids and other maintenance items changed before they're causing any problems. I'll normally go through a used car when I buy it, and replace all the things that I think might fail during my projected ownership at once, so I don't have to worry about getting stranded (I do a lot of long road trips). For example, my 133,000 mile 2006 A3 got a timing belt, water pump, thermostat (the old one was clearly bad), front lower control arm bushings, new struts and shocks, spark plugs, air filter, cabin air filter, wiper blades, wheels and tires and spacers to make it look good, along with a four-wheel alignment, and of course, that transmission fluid and filter change. The result is a car that drives like a new one and that should behave itself.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Make sure to change your fuel filter every 10K. That makes a big difference as well. I keep an extra fuel filter around incase my fuel ever geled.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Significance of VW's extended emissions warranty?

Originally Posted by Tokarev
My dad has an 2011 Audi A3 TDI with 72k miles. Has the Bose Stereo, Navigation, and the Sport (?) trim package. Looking to buy it from him as a daily driver (20k miles per year). I want to know what typically goes wrong with these cars. He bought it as an extra car for a vacation home and hasn't had it long but everything works at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated. For a car like this I would budget $1.5k per year for repairs...does that seem in line? What should I watch out for?
Hey, I'm abt to take delivery of an A3 2.0 TDI as well, also a 2011. I searched for a whiile and when one came on the market with less than 20k on the clock, also with the (Titanium) sport pkg n surprisingly within my budget, I jumped on it.
As much as I've long admired the car, i'd not have bought it were it not for the post Diesel-Gate 4 yr/48k emissions warranty (nor do I plan to keep it beyond 4 yrs). I realize it doesn't cover everything, but from its description, does seemingly cover what'd otherwise be some pretty costly repairs.
Has ur dad's car been in for the emissions update/issued the extended warranty yet? I'm no expert, but I am wondering the opinion of any who are as to how much said warranty actually negates the risks of A3 Townership...or not.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

How much is the timing belt? $2k? What about the turbo? When does that go and how much is it to replace/repair?
Old 12-25-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

How much is the timing belt? $2k? What about the turbo? When does that go and how much is it to replace/repair?
I was quoted $1200. You can do it yourself for cheaper, I will stick with Do it yourself oil changes and save TB for the professionals.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I suppose ur wondering the cost of turbo replacement for when the Extended Emissions Warranty no longer covers it., if you'll reach its mileage limits sooner than later. But for anyone who may not be aware, the turbo is, in fact, covered under said warranty - for the longer - or greater of 10yr/120k miles or 4yr/48k miles - from date of modification.
That said, I was told by a mechanic that turbo replacement, parts + labor can run between $6000 & $10,000. I can"t personally attest to the quote's veracity.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Billy_Madison
I suppose ur wondering the cost of turbo replacement for when the Extended Emissions Warranty no longer covers it., if you'll reach its mileage limits sooner than later. But for anyone who may not be aware, the turbo is, in fact, covered under said warranty - for the longer - or greater of 10yr/120k miles or 4yr/48k miles - from date of modification.
That said, I was told by a mechanic that turbo replacement, parts + labor can run between $6000 & $10,000. I can"t personally attest to the quote's veracity.
Btw, that cost range was given with regard to turbo vehicles in general - not the A3 specifically, which I didn't have at the time.

Quick Reply: 2011 Audi A3 TDI Reliablity?