Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

3.2 DSG habits..

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 DSG habits..

Does anyone find DSG jerky at all in stop/start traffic? I've got a 3.2 Sportback and find that the transmission can sometimes be silky smooth but at other times really jumpy. It seems to be really evident in reverse! At speed, the transmission is fantastic, but in traffic it drives me crazy sometimes. I've had two Audi dealers look into it but both say this is normal for the car.

My other gripe with the car is the surge of power you sometimes get which really takes you by surprise. It's almost as though there's a cable which pulls you forward at warp speed. The reason this worries me is because it's not at kickdown! It feels a bit like turbo boost. Is it just possible that 250hp is just a bit too much for this car to handle dynamically? I've got a 997 C2S as my other car, so it's not as though I'm not use to power. Sometimes it feels the Audi is faster!

My first post and love the forum. Keep us the good posts!

Thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Is the clutch slipping ? I know it's DSG with two clutches, but that does not sound normal
Old 11-07-2005, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I can't help with the first (6 speed), the second is something I experienced

in my 2.0 car. I took a few hundred miles to get the feel of the gas pedal.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Same thing with my DSG...

I have the 2.0t though and it is not stock. I use manual mode 80% of the time so it is not driving me that crazy. It does drive me crazy when I am in D mode though. I have been in powerful or torquey automatics and it does jerk. I wonder what the transmission feels like in the bugatti...
Old 11-07-2005, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same here

It's not an issue for me, except in reverse. Going uphill in reverse is a nightmare with DSG!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no torque converter.. you're feeling it engage from complete disengagement (stop)
Old 11-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Default you all mean it's hard to modulate the throttle cuz it's sensitive?

like the on off throttle is not smooth?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Probably because the amount of torque changes when DSG upshifts early in D

In D the transmission up shifts at fairly low rpm while accelerating. When the transmission up shifts (at 2-3000 rpm), you all of a sudden have less torque. Since it is changing things while your foot is continuing to push down on the pedal, it is a little strange at first (probably quite good for gas usage though). I believe the three solutions are to 1) drive in manual mode, 2) use sport mode, or 3) get used to it.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:57 PM

so cant you just let way up on the throttle at the shift point?
Old 11-07-2005, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't have DSG but have the CVT.

I have a similar complaint with the CVT. It gets jerky at slow speeds such as rolling through a stop sign or driving at parking lot speeds. It's noticeable while crawling along the highway in stop and go traffic. It's a jerking and bucking motion.

I've brought it up several times to my Audi dealership, but the technician says it's typical because the drive-by-wire is communicating to the CVT transmission. He says the Mini Coopers do it also because they are drive-by-wire and CVT as well.

I was hoping the DSG didn't have this problem, but apparently you guys are saying it does. I don't know what the problem is with Audi, but they can NEVER get their automatic transmission right. They're always behind the competition regarding their automatics. I was hoping to someday get a DSG, but from what I'm hearing, BMW is looking more and more attractive now.

Quick Reply: 3.2 DSG habits..