Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Is the 3.2 VR6 an interference motor? I assume it is.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the 3.2 VR6 an interference motor? I assume it is.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the top faces of the pistons have cut outs to clear the valves, ....

if the cams were not turning, though, there may still be interference, i don't know.

however, saving grace is that it doesn't use a timing belt, it uses a timing chain, and the chances of failure are minimal
Old 02-06-2008, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tell this guy that problems with timing chain on VR6 are rare; he might disagree.

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/3224vvr6/msgs/117.phtml">Bad timing chain sprocket</a>
Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i guess for that guy, problems with timing chain on VR6 are common
Old 02-07-2008, 04:15 AM

Default Hm, I wonder if there is a way to look in there at the spot where

it wears and be able to see if there are issues.

If its been wearing so long, 52k for that guy, I could see it as being something you could preemptively fix if you can see that its occurring. 52k is a long time to be able to diagnose that if you know it could happen.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is it really $4500 to do a timing chain replacement?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no way is that the price for replacing the chain, ....

it is a pain to get to the chain, sprockets, and tensioners. but parts and labour could have come in under 20% of that.

he said that no valves actually collided with pistons, and not lots of stuff broke, and the motor did not have to be rebuilt.

but, i can't imagine how else that kind of cost could be justified.
if it was really only what he said it was, he was duped and fully ripped off.

it is extremely rare for this type of failure to occur.
this is the only one i've ever heard of, and have never heard of non-hardened sprockets. i'm not saying it didn't happen, just that the chances of it happening are near zero percent.

i looked at mine up close, at 65,000 miles during turbo install, and everything was perfect, aside from a chain guide which had fractured, but was not causing any issue.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i think the only way to look in there, is to pull intake manifold, valve cover, and chain cover
Old 02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Here's a link to the guy's repair invoice. Lots of expensive parts were replaced.

<a href="http://www.reesphotos.com/VW/invoice.html">Repair invoice on failed timing chain sprocket</a>

LOL at the comment at the bottom of the invoice regarding future customer survey call and wanting(expecting) an "Extremely Satisfied" response from the customer.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default holy crap, ....

i have no idea what his situation actually was, and am too far removed, and not an expert mechanic, so i'm just talking.

but, looking over that invoice, my <i>first reaction</i> is that he should never have approved all that work to be done, without a second opinion.
<b>second opinions are worth it.</b>

i'm tempted to say that the shop replaced, and charged him for, far more parts than he needed, and all the labour to go with it. i don't really question the fasteners and gaskets, but all the expensive parts, aside from the chain, and the intermediate shaft adjuster with the worn down tooth.

however,
there is no mention of total mileage of the vehicle on the invoice.

who knows? maybe it was high mileage, or poorly maintained, and they got in there, and quite properly, recommended other things that should be done, while all the effort and labour cost was already taken to get the engine open, like camshaft, the second adjuster, solenoid valves, etc.

not sure why the whole engine was pulled. the transmission does have to come out, to remove the chains, but the whole engine?

<i>on the surface of it</i>, it looks like they milked him for lots of extra, and expensive parts, and gobs of extra labour, and there is also no itemization of labour hours.

this repair smells funny.

lol at the near demand, for "extremely satisfied" report, after the total cost is over 4.5 times the original estimate of $900. my report would say "extremely suspicious"

also, lol at customer provided, non-oem coolant. :screwy:
use properly diluted G-12 only, folks.

Quick Reply: Is the 3.2 VR6 an interference motor? I assume it is.