Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

8V steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8V steering issue

Hello all,

I have a 2016 8V and a while ago I hit a curb with the REAR left tire. The steering went off center and a bunch of lights came on including steering assist, etc.

After driving for a bit, the lights went out and the steering wheel stayed off center. I went to an alignment shop, made sure nothing was bent and got the car aligned (everything within spec). Since then, It’s been impossible to get the steering wheel centered.

This happened several times with several different alignment shops giving me the same result. I would leave with a perfect report, but uncentered steering wheel even though I would sit in the car and center the wheel myself during the alignments.

I ended up getting my steering angle sensor calibrated and everything reset to factory settings, and got another alignment. This time it was finally perfect and centered. My guess is that when the lights went out, it recalibrated itself on the crooked steering wheel.

The problem I have now, is that after about a month of driving, it slowly starts to creep to the right and going off center again. I got everything calibrated again, and got another alignment. Again, after about a month it starts creeping to the right.

Every time I get an alignment, the specs are spot on how we left them the alignment before, proving that nothing in the suspension is shifting. I’m guessing it’s calibration related since the calibration is what allowed it to get centered after more than 10 other alignments that would leave the steering off center as soon as I left the shop.

The issue driving me nuts now is that it does finally get centered, but slowly goes off center for no apparent reason. Is there anything anyone can recommend to fix this issue?

Thanks.