Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 2.0 Aftermarket Xenons....advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 2.0 Aftermarket Xenons....advice?

Hi Guys, newbie here, and just got a fully loaded a3 2.0T, sans Xenon lights. I installed a kit from ebay, and even bought the "Resistor Packs". Low beams work fine, but there is fluttering when I try to use the high beams. Can anyone here with a working aftermarket xenon setup tell me what they bought? Much much thanks in advance.

PS: I searched old threads here, but didn't really find any concrete info about it.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

what HID kit did you install?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Re: what HID kit did you install?

I bought it from www.proxenon.com, and even bought the hella resistor pack to fix the circuit problems. I wonder what else better there is out there.....
Old 02-07-2006, 08:47 PM
SCJ
AudiWorld Member

The real ones!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is there auto leveling with that kit?
Old 02-07-2006, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Did your setup come with a relay?

I can't remember the exact setup, but the kit I had for my A4 had a relay which triggered when the headlight switch was on.

The igniter drew power directly from the battery and not from the original wiring meant for the halogen. This might give you stable power.

Make sure that the fluttering is not just on one side, it might be a bad ballast. I haven't really kept up with the changes in xenon lighting but a couple of years ago only Philips and Hella were Audi OEM ballast manufacturers.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default xTec works great

I bought and installed the xTec kit and it works perfect. It plugs directly into the existing wiring so there is no need for separate wiring to the battery, extra resistor, or anything else.
Only problems were that the plugs were not deep enough and had to be trimmed and no grommets were supplied so I had to buy some for running the cables through the cover. (I've got extras if anyone needs some)
Please, please, please be careful aiming these. Do not use the main beam as a guide. There will be a distinct zone of light above the main beam that will blind oncoming traffic if you just aim them normally or don't change the aim. You have to look at where that extra zone of light above the main beam has a cutoff point and use that for aiming.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:10 AM

Default Re: xTec works great

Can you please email me and let me know which kit you bought?

thanks,

milgauss@mac.com
Old 02-08-2006, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone considering HID conversion, please read this:

Unless the kit comes with compatible reflectors and lenses, please reconsider.<ul><li><a href="http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html">Thinking of converting to HID?</a></li></ul>
Old 02-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Elder Member

Default IIRC, this is probably the best way to do it...

Not the cheapest way, but it sounds like it's the right way to do it. It's expensive because you have to get the Xenon-housings, not just bulbs and the kit.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/26898.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/26898.phtml</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: A3 2.0 Aftermarket Xenons....advice?