Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 audio question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 audio question...

in the 3.2 model with the symphoney II audio unit and no nav plus, is there a 3.5 mm audio plug input anywhere? one of the upscale garmin gps units will play through a car audio system using a 3.5 mm output cable (both the navigation audio as well as xm radio, traffic, or weather), and if i don't get an A3 with the nav plus or xm, i'd like an elegant way to include it.

i understand that with the nav plus the 6-disk cd changer gets moved to the glove box, and there's no way to include another audio device that would attach the way i want to. but i don't recall seeing the question asked about the symphoney II without the nav plus.

thanks!
Old 04-15-2006, 03:21 AM

Default Use the glove box plug ...

... with a PIE AUX adapter.

My iPod or my Garmin nuvi can play through the stereo that way.

-dan
Old 04-15-2006, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks, dan -- so you're saying i can have both the in-dash 6-cd changer and an i-pod or garmin...

hooked into the symphoney II audio system if as long as the cd changer's not connected to the glove box plug? sounds like a good reason to get the garmin and not get the nav plus!
Old 04-15-2006, 01:41 PM

Default umm, not sure about CD changer ...

First, I'd go for the nuvi in a flash instead of spending much more for the nav. The nuvi can be used in other cars and has a really clever user interface.

I'm not sure how you plan to connect a CD changer. The only ones I've seen use the glove box plug, so you cannot use a PIE adapter unless you unplug the changer.

Some PIE adapters let you use a dockable iPod and display tune info on your head unit. But those do not allow plugging in other audio sources, such as the nuvi.

The PIE AUX adapter does not use the dock, just a standard audio mini-plug, so it can use the headphone jack on the iPod or the nuvi (or any audio device, like a weather radio or police scanner) and play it through your stereo. But it does not display tune info and again, it uses the glove box connection, so you can't use a CD changer as far as I know, unless you can do some very fancy wiring and install a switch.

Am I understanding your question correctly?

-dan
Old 04-15-2006, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the symphoney II with no nav has the cd changer in the dash, not in the glove box, so...

the question is whether there is something somewhere on the symphoney II that i could hook a mini-plug into for the garmin/magellan -- either through a pie adapter or something else.

all of the posts i've seen here have been for folks who have the audi nav unit and have decided on using an mp3 player rather than the cd-changer that goes in the glove box.

i want to use the built-in cd-changer -- not the one in the glove box that you get if you use the nav unit -- and to connect the garmin/magellan unit to it. i'm i clearer now?

thanks for your help.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:24 AM

Default it all depends on what's in the glove box

I'm not familiar with the Symphony setup, so I'd have to guess that it does not have a glove box plug for an external changer.

I'm not aware of any VW/Audi OEM radios that have aux inputs yet, but some can accept an adapter at the head unit.

Check PIE's web site; maybe they have better info.

http://www.pie.net

-dan
Old 04-16-2006, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Pull the radio and look at the top

There is a label on the top showing how everything is connected. You may have the pins for the small Navi (+/-/Mute) in the 10 pin connector. That's the best way to do it because it mutes other audio sources.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All U.S./Canadian A3s are prewired for the CD changer.