Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts
Old 08-09-2016, 11:58 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

A3 Brakes and Big Elks

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 Brakes and Big Elks

Driving home from work, two elk walked out in front of me. They freeze when they see cars (Darwin at work).

I was only at about 45mph and heading up hill so I could stop. Often, however, I would be going much faster.

The A3 brakes seemed pretty mushy although they worked and the ABS did not kick in. So I was not at the limit. I beleive that part of the problem is the car is so heavy.

Any simple mods to increase performance? Pads? Lines? I am not ready to invest thousands.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: A3 Brakes and Big Elks

If the ABS didn't kick in then you still have braking power left. Tires are the #1 influence on braking performance. Next pads, then fluid and rotors. BBKs are more bling than anything else, especially for a single panic stop.

Good rubber will make far more of an impact on that one stop that any BBK. When I upgraded the tires on my auto-x toy from crappy stock tires to Falken Azenis the braking improvement was amazing.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:12 AM
yam
AudiWorld Member

x2 BBK are primarily for preventing fade during repeated high speed stops.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default X3 To the above 2 statements. BBK's sometimes WORSEN braking distance....

for street driving. Obviously they're going to be better for fade on the track, but I've seen a few tests done where the #'s show that the BBK takes the car an extra couple of feet to stop compared to stock brakes. It would be interesting to see comparisons of 60-0's with different tires/pads etc alone.
IMO BBK's should only be purchased for for 2 things...Looks or if you track the car. I've never seen any evidence that for street driving they have any advantage.

This is a really good clip on the difference tires can make in the wet.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AZ4&amp;url=/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp&amp;techid=154">http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AZ4&amp;url=/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp&amp;techid=154</a</li></ul>
Old 12-24-2006, 09:49 AM

Thanks! Everybody should watch that video.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if hes not hiting the abs he dosnt need better rubber

or he isnt mashing the pedal. skip to the pads if your abs starts kicking in all the time get some stickey rubber
Old 12-24-2006, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Pretty shocking 100ft+ worse distance...wow.

I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as bad in dry or without standing water...good info tho.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree, the brake feel when mashing on it really doesnt give you confidence.

For an autocross I went one time, I felt like the car could barely stop intime for the stopbox.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The actual stopping time/distance for the car is ok...but agree pedal feel SUCKS

I've upgraded pads, fluid and put in stainless lines...pedal feel is still mushy with alot of travel.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you've done all those mods and it still FEELs like crap, then it could be the master cylinder?

There was a guy with an S8 that made a brace for the master cylinder, I wonder if it was for similar reasons of crap pedal feel.

The thing about our cars is the master cylinder is hidden in a rather low part of the engine bay by the driver side..

Found the post..:<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/38595.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/38595.phtml</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: A3 Brakes and Big Elks