Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 Front Passanger Seat Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2000, 11:24 PM
Johnalif

Default A3 Front Passanger Seat Problem

I have a A3 1.8 3 door hatch which has a problem with a noise eminating from the front passanger seat in that every time I go over a slight bump or rough road. After you drive over the bump or say, when you cross train tracks, there is vibrating type of noise and the seat back moves slightly. I can recreate the noise by knocking on the front of the headrest with my hand slightly, and then you can see the seat back move slightly and this strange noise can be heard.

Has anybody else seen this on their 3 door A3? Any ideas??? Please help, its driving me crazy!!!
Old 02-20-2000, 02:17 AM
David R

Default Re: A3 Front Passanger Seat Problem

Hi John,

I noticed a simlar rattle - only when the seat was empty. My car was delivered with the seat base in a different colour from the rest of the upholstery and this was changed under warranty - I thought it may be somthing to do with that.

I found tried adjusting the seatbelt mounting, backrest position and seat height, I think eventually the noise was silenced by putting the head restraint at its lowest position - could have been a combination of the three.

Hope that helps - I too cannot stand rattles in my car!

David R
Old 02-20-2000, 11:59 PM
Johnalif

Default Thanks David- Tried all that!

You are quite correct- it only happens when the seat is empty. The seat colour looks fne and I have ajusted the seat every which way I can.

I will see what happens and speak to the dealer! I'm sick to death with the noise!!!

Still love the car though!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bye...........
Thanks again,
John
Old 02-21-2000, 12:33 AM
AL B

I get that too
Old 02-22-2000, 02:42 AM
DamienH

I just recently took delivery of my 2nd A3. Hav'nt heard that rattle from the new one yet, but the old one was really bad. If you press your hand against the seat back it stopped, and i think the noise was coming from the seat base- not the "hinge" between the backrest and the base.
Old 02-23-2000, 01:23 AM
Johnalif

Default Yes- That's it- You are correct!!! More info re seat noise problem.

I spent over one hour yesterday trying to listen to the noise. Yes, I can confirm that the noise does come from the lower part of the seat base. I removed the little storage compartment from the base of the seat and tapped on the head rest area with my hand to hear the sound again. I can discribe it as sounding like a plastic vibrating against metal while the seat back viabrates with my taping motion.

Hoes anyone know how to resolve this problem???

Thanks again...
Old 01-25-2002, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same disturbing noise on my 2001 A4. I have noticed that pulling on the lever (the one that moves the seat back and forth will solve the problem at least until someone seats on again, so I´m pretty sure it has something to do with that handle.