Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 6.5 rear speakers are they active?

Yeah... although i wouldn't use infinity's.... for the same price u can get the MB Quart 6.5"....
depends which ons tho. U can get Co-axial, or component sets. Ht ecoax would be better as it would be a straiht swap. THe best thing to do really would be(if u have an aftermarket headunit which i assume you have) to re-wire the rear speakers to use the headunit amplified outputs and will be more powerful than the audi/bose one and will sound better too. just means adding 2 more cables when u wire in the sub leads to the headunit. As for the sub, just leave it in... less hastle and it isnt in the way at all, but just disconnect it. If u dont mind me asking, how much is the vibe box? cos u can pobably build a much better quality sub for the same money. just get a 2 channel bridgeable amp, a 10" sub cone and a well fitted (or make one yourself) box. I built my sub for £250 and its a beast. GOt a Sony XM1507 760W amp, and a Alpine Type S 10" cone. and can build an enclosure thats looks better than u can buy cos it fits the boot properly for £30 or so... but a little time to build it.

Hope all this helps

Rich B
Old 12-19-2002, 11:04 AM

Default Re: yes, but will it sound good? All in the rear..

The vibe unit is 400w with 10inch sub plus it's got a 'turbo port' or horn. Cost £250-200. V-I-B-E.com. Its a nice black box with horrible sliver graphics. You can even get after market silver protectors for the sub and a tuning bung - which you stuff down the horn.

Would use Kappa's as they came from my last car, where I had four speakers with cross overs and tweaters front and rear. I am keen on keeping the factory head - but only use it as a control panel.

I've got a phatnoise unit (40gb MPEG thingie) on order. I plan to hook it up in the boot using the cd changer lead, then send a signal to a Jensen 2-channel power amp hi/low pass filter. The amp can then drive the rears. I may swap out the standard fronts and drive them off the factory head. Plus I may hook up the vibe unit again from a signal from the amp.

Heard some good things about the JB Quarts though. Will they be a straight swap? If so I may ditch the Kappa's or sell them on ebay.

Would be nice to completely remove the existing sub as it would free up so much space. Boots pretty small already - damn quattro system!

Lee.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:22 AM

Default Re: yes, but will it sound good? All in the rear..

If yourgoing to leave the standard headunit, then gfet a good quality 4 channel amp, and a 2 channel amp (or a 6 channel amp).. 4ch for speakers, and 2ch for sub... and yes a built sub sounds much better as your paying for the components not a nice box!

MB quart are excellent and they fit exactly in the rear... well they should as they have he same layout, but as they are not the originals they may need the adaptors which cost about £10.

Is the boot in the quattro smaller than a noprmal a3 then? dont worry about boot space... its the sound tht matters :-)

Rich B