Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 Noisy door!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2000, 01:41 AM
Joseba

Default A3 Noisy door!!!

Hi all!

Some time ago I read some posts giving some advice about the way of avoiding the noise made by the door rubber seal.

Since this moment, the only way I could forget this noise while driving is to increase my stereo volume...and as far as I can gather, this is not a proper solution

Some advice?

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-27-2000, 04:44 AM
AL B

Default Re: A3 Noisy door!!!

Hi Joseba,

Snap, had the same problems myself with squeaky door seals. After numerous visits to the dealer, where all attempts to solve the problem failed, I found the solution on the web. And got the dealer to carry it out.

Follow the link below, once in the Audi technical bulletins section search for the page for "Door Seals".

Now, the tape that the article suggests is a genuine VW/Audi part, but different countries have different part numbers for it. So you will have to ask your dealer to get it for you.

The article also indicates putting the tape on to the door itself. However, it is simpiler to put the tape on the inside of door frame i.e. on the car itself.

This cures the problem, but has one draw-back: in freezing temperatures, the doors freeze to the car!!

Anyway, I have a picture of the solution, and I will try my best to get it scanned in, and post it here. So keep tuning in.

Regards,

Alan
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver<ul><li><a href="http://tech.vw.com/audi/index.htm">http://tech.vw.com/audi/index.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 01-28-2000, 07:21 AM
franck

Default Re: A3 Noisy door!!! : the solution is simple

a silicon spray is the solution, but spray it everywhere and don't forget the hard rubber at the top of the doors (in contact with the paint).
Spraying silicon on the seals is not sufficient.
Old 01-29-2000, 12:49 AM
IJ

Door noise is not easy to deal with. Try these steps in order or any combination of them:
1. make sure your tyre pressures are correct (i.e. stock tyres - use pressures as per fuel cap door; aftermarket tyres - use the ones recommended by the manufacturer)
2. make sure your spare wheel bolt (securing the toolbox) is properly fastened (loose wheel can increase vibration in A3 (body/doors) that is otherwise quite solid car)
3. apply some silicone to the rubber seal as other guys have done
4. failing above - install an aftermarket door step plates which look good and slightly reduce shell-to-door gap
That's how I got rid of it
IJ
99A31.8T
Old 01-29-2000, 03:02 AM
John

Default Solution to squeaky windows?

My A3 Windows have been tinted and when I accelerate I hear a soft noise almost like the windows are moving a little. This alos happens when I'm driving over rough roads. If I drive with the windows down a little, the noise doesn't occur so much.

Does anyone have any ideas on this one? Should I try the silicon spray fix?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-31-2000, 03:27 AM
AL B

Default Re: Solution to squeaky windows?

John,

When my car first developed the squeaky door seals, I tried silicone spray, and it just made it worse. I'm not saying don't try it, but just be warned it could make things worse.

But the self-adhesive felt that has been put on my car, does solve the problem.

The way I determined that it was the door seals was: get out of the car, close the offending door, push on the top of the door frame where it meets the car. When I did this I could clearly hear the same squeak sound as I could when in the car.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Alan.
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 02-08-2000, 03:56 AM
Dobbo

I've had the tape fitted to cure the squeaky door seal problem - complete bodge if you ask me, it completely ruins the image of quality I had about Audi's and, to add insult to injury the problem still came back. My A3 has been back to the dealer who seems to have fixed the problem by slightly lowering the door!!! Talking of quality, my car has more squeaks and rattles than my last car - a Fiat Punto - not much to shout about there Mr Audi!!!
Old 02-17-2000, 12:51 AM
AL B

Default I agree - it's a disgrace...

Hi,

I agree, it is a bit of a quick-fix, and I don't recommended it anymore...see my post above.

Alan
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 02-17-2000, 12:59 AM
AL B

Default Squeaky Door Seal Fix: Do not do it if you get freezing weather...

Hi,

I just thought I'd post an update about the squeaky door seal fix that uses felt tape.

If you live in a country that gets freezing winter weather, then the doors of your car are likely to freeze to your car! And it's not funny!

A typical example was this morning, in the UK we had snow, sleet/rain and then it froze. I couldn't get in to my car through either door. I tried hot-ish water, de-icer but still couldn't get in to my car. So in the end I had to climb in through the hatch. How embarassing!

Anyway, the felt tape has been consigned to the bin! What a pain in the a***!

Alan
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver (with squeaky doors and creaking panels - what a quality Audi!)
Old 03-13-2000, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Solution to squeaky windows?

My windows have just started squeaking,i have a four month old s3,it has been driving me mad.
I drop the window about an eighth of an inch and it stops.I dropped my car in to Audi and he sprayed the door seals with a silicon spray and it has cured the problem.I will let you know how long it lasts!