Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 on order -- I'm going to drive an Audi, again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 on order -- I'm going to drive an Audi, again!

I used to drive a TT quattro roadster. Some devil (read: salesperson) made me lease rather than buy that sucker, and when the lease ended it was way overpriced to buy, so I turned it in.

Now, two years later or so, I've got different requirements (my wife doesn't want to have to learn manual), and less zeal for a complete lack of a roof, so I got hooked on the idea of an A3.

As of yesterday it's on order. I got my closest dealer to put my name on a (pretty fully stocked) Lava/Gray A3, DSG, with the Sport package, and basically every other option except the rear airbags. It's coming in late June. I can hardly wait.

Just as an aside -- I'm back with Audi for three reasons. One, their cars perform well, look well, and have great little touches inside and outside, all without costing too much. Second, Audi warranty makes me smile every time: my TT was an early model, and Audi took care of my every little problem (and I think I had a very problematic TT). Third, their A3 is a rare car in a market with few alternatives -- the other cars I was considering were the GTI (but the upcoming model design is worse looking than the current model, imho), the Lexus IS300 and the Saab 9-2X.

To those still considering the car:
- the DSG is very nice. It's not as fun as manual transmission. But it's definitely much, much more fun than an automatic would have been.
- the car, even with three people in it during the test drive, still managed to demonstrate its performance.
- the Sports package comes with this roof spoiler thing that is not in any product literature. In my opinion the spoiler makes the car look very marginally worse.
- these cars don't appear to be in very high demand. our purchase of the car was the first A3 sale for the saleswoman we worked with, and she's been in Audi sales for a long time. perhaps the lack of advertising is part of the reason. so if you want the car, you will likely see this turn out as:
--- lots of people will get the car when the ads kick in. now might be a good time to get one without a list.
--- this car will not prove to be very popular. now might be a good time to get one and appear unique.

Anyways, welcome, A3-ers. And hopefully in a few weeks I'll say hello to my car as well.