Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 Questions to current owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 Questions to current owners

I've ordered my new A3 2.0T DSG Lava-Grey (in Toronto, Canada) and it should be in next week. I can't wait! In the mean-time, I have a couple of questions:

1. Dual zone climate control
Is there a way to synchronize both sides so that input on one side adjusts the other side too?

2. I'm considering ordering the factory iPod solition for the standard Concert stereo. Does anyone know who the manufactuer is? Does it plug into the bottom of the iPod or simply in the headphone socket? Will there be a display on the stereo or MFD? Can it be controlled from the steering wheel?

3. I've order the premium pack and it included the auto-dimming rear view mirror. Do the side mirrors also auto-dim like on my current A4?

Thanks in advance.
I'll post some pictures of it when it arrives!

Noodle
A3 2.0T DSG
Lava-Grey
Black leather
Premium pack
Open sky
Winter pack
Xenons
Old 03-26-2006, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers:

1. Push the "Auto" button and hold it to sync both sides.

2. From what I've read, you should either go with the IceLink or the PIE adapter. Don't bother with the OEM solution. Both have models that just connect into the pre-wired CD changer cable in the glove box. The IceLink seems to have more features, but costs more. I believe they both plug into the bottom connector.

I skipped the iPod (although I own 3) and installed a PhatBox instead (because I had one in my A4).

Because all of these solutions appear to the headunit as a CD changer, the only information displayed will be CD number and track number.
You can control them from the steering wheel controls, the headunit, or IIRC, the iPod itself.

3. Sorry, but the side mirrors don't dim.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Answers:

Thanks for the answers Mike.

I'm glad the climate control sides can be synch'd; I don't really think that it's necessary to have dual in a car this size. Nice to have the choice though.

I'll shop around local car audio places for the IceLink. If it plugs in to the CD changer plug in the glove box, installation must be a sinch.

That's what I thought about the side mirrors; oh well.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One IceLink source here:

<ul><li><a href="http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/DENSION_I20_AUDI_T2.html">click</a></li></ul>
Old 03-26-2006, 12:13 PM

No need for dual zone climate? ALL of my lady friends would beg to differ :-D
Old 03-26-2006, 03:35 PM

That's a neat feature on the d zone. I should really read my owner manual, someday.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:54 PM

Default Re: One IceLink source here:

I also found some detailed fitting instructions on this forum at the link below. My only concern is making sure that none of the cables rattle etc. The person in the instructions took care of this, I just hope that I can do a similar job. If I can find a car audio place that offers the kit installed at a competitive price, I may opt for that.

Again, thanks for the response.<ul><li><a href="http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/2006/02/ipod-integration-with-dension.html">iPod Integration with the Dension ice&gt;Link:Plus</a></li></ul>
Old 03-26-2006, 03:57 PM

Default Re: No need for dual zone climate? ALL of my lady friends would beg to differ :-D

So is the dual zone effective then?

I must admit, my girlfriend and I ofter want differnt temperatures. I was thinking more of when I'm in the car on my own. It would bug me to adjust the temp for the whole car twice.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Default is both sides synched ...

They only operate independently if you change the passenger side setting. Then, as Mike said, you can re-sync by holding the Auto button in for a few seconds.

So if nobody ever changes the passenger dial, you have mono-zone climate control [g].

Also, my vote is for the PIE iPod adapter -- cheaper, less fussy to operate and install.

-dan
Old 03-26-2006, 08:33 PM

Default ice>Link

http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com

Quick Reply: A3 Questions to current owners