Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 Sales Continue to fall

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A3 Sales Continue to fall

I suspect that a lot of buyers are put off by how much one or two options add to the bottom line. The only extras I wanted were the sport suspension and a sunroof,and they jacked the price up quite a bit. By that point I was already smitten by what a great curve straightener the A3 is.
I don't know how the GTI's sales compare. But I suspect that people who do a feature-for-dollar comparison might figure they can get essentially the same car for less money. Plus they can get a real sunroof instead of the less than ideal OpenSky system.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

That plus cabrio - For Sure
Old 08-03-2007, 04:34 PM

Better drivetrain layout?! The engine sits IN FRONT of the front axle on the A4...horrible wt distr.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default But if it weren't for A3 i might not have stayed with Audi

after my A6. Maybe Mazdaspeed 3 or something.

Also, don't these lux brands see their lowest cost vehicles as an entry point to the brand, with the idea that the A3 first-time-audi-buyer will stay in the family next time?

Too many dealers have a month-to-month mentality, but not surprised given the turnover in salespeople...
Old 08-03-2007, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I like EXCLUSIVITY
Old 08-04-2007, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OR.....buy it and keep it. Depreciation will loose it's grip on you
Old 08-04-2007, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ??What A4 are you talking about??

I'd take a A3 2.0T S-Line S-Tronic over a A4 CVT any, any day.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default A3 Is The Most Popular Audi In Other Countries Just Not Here

In other countries the A3 is the most common Audi you will see. They are literally everywhere in Europe. It is their top selling model than comes the a4.

Americans like sedans as opposed to hatchbacks. Thats the theory anyway. Many people have issues with expensive hatchbacks (whats an SUV anyway)

I have read repeatedly that Audi does not feel they should give the car away in the American market. In a nutshell they are not going to give it away.

There is not a lot of advertising for it anyway. When I got mine most people had never ever seen one.

The fact is the dollar is at record lows against the Euro so it puts extreme pressure on Euro products price wise. My European companies are involved in currency arbitrage to compensate.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You hit the nail on the head. Audi has to discount the A3 a lot compared to European prices

and at the volumes it is likely to sell here, it isn't worth expending too much effort and cash on the model when a lot more can be made readily elsewhere. If it takes off, fine. Same applies to A4 and A6 Avants. Dealer allocation is slim.

If it doesn't find an audience here, it already has one elsewhere. The fact that there are incentives to clear out inventory is good for bargain hunters, but not for our chances to see future versions and more versions. If it continues to come, it will be on the back of the VW Golf/GTi and TT, as those cars have the volume to make certification worthwhile. Those cars also bring profits into the dealerships, allowing them to offer money loser cars like the A3.

I really like the luxury hot hatch concept, and hope appreciation continues to grow. A GTi is the wrong demographic for me and the TT isn't practical enough.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If it really grabs me, I *will* keep it for the long haul but would have to get

the extended warranty. I just hope the A3 is more reliable than the TT. I was getting tired of those damned electrical quirks. TT has been extremely sound mechanically, though. Great engine and drive train.

Quick Reply: A3 Sales Continue to fall