Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 vs GTI? (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 vs GTI? (longish)

My buddy is looking into getting either the most basic A3 2.0T, or an '06 GTI. He isn't really sure which one to get because they both have their pro's and con's. Since they are basically the same car when it comes down to the chassis and engine, he has a big decision to make. The A3 is clearly the better looking car, but since he only has the budget for the most basic model, the inside is not very nice and it has very few features. The GTI, although not so visually pleasing, has a great interior and better features than the A3. For a price of about $2,500 less than the A3, the GTI definitely has some cooler things inside. The only problem is that he resale on the GTI would probably be lower than the resale on the A3. Any suggestions would be great.....he needs a lot of help here. Honest opinions based on his situation.... not just "GO A3!" (unless of course you really mean it!)
Old 02-13-2006, 06:59 PM
CRB
AudiWorld Member

Default The face on the VW is one only a mother could love.

I originally didn't particularly like the "new face of Audi" either but...well maybe it will grow on me.

GO A3!!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He should also take into consideration the free maintenance until 50k
Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default today thats basically 5 oil filters, 25 quarts of oil and a pair of pollen filters + labor

thats approximately what they've boiled the maintenance down to.... and if you go DSG and or haldex, you get your fluids changed on those too.

No spark plugs or air filter... those are customer pay at 55k miles.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default "No spark plugs or air filter... those are customer pay at 55k miles."

Yea, that's what I noticed in my owners manual last week, and I thought aint that the ****s! Audi purposely split this up to go 5k past the maint period.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive both back to back. VW interior has some obvious cost cutting.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:00 PM

Default If I was on a tighter budget I would have gone for the Golf even though the

interior is not in the same league. I love the looks of the Golf as well.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:47 PM

Default Hmm... Interesting.

I just built the GTI on VW's site the way I would want it and it came out to $22.6K. The price only starts getting crazy when you start adding the options which all seem to come in high-priced packages. But the stripper GTI with manual trans and cloth seats actually comes nicely equipped (the standard Xenon lights being a major plus in my book.)

Now, when I go to the Audi and build a stripper A3, it's about $3K more and doesn't have Xenons and has the ugly four-spoke steering wheel. I don't know if two extra doors and a little brand snob appeal is worth $3K. (Although, the included maintenance might be.) But all in all, I'm going to have to say that VW does seem to be making the more convincing performance/value argument for my money.

The real problem with the A3 is that the way the ordering sheet is constructed, I'm more inclined to want to add options and usually end up in the $30K range for the A3 I really want. While the GTI I really want is the $22.6K stripper model.

As much of an Audi fan as I am, I would have to sort of work at convincing myself to pay $30K for the A3. Now, if Audi offered the 2.0T with a 6-speed and quattro, I could see myself making the leap to $32K quite easily. Funny how these things work, huh?

Now, I'm not putting down those of you who own the A3 for your decision--we all have different priorities in what we need and want from a car. I'm just saying that when I examine my priorities, I'm finding the GTI argument a lot easier to buy than the A3 argument.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:56 PM

Default Actually, the GTI's looks are already growing on me.

The A3 is definitely Audi's best implementation of its "guppy" grill. VW's new look didn't win many points with me with the Jetta (which I still think looks like a Corolla.) But the Passat and GTI look better and better each time I see them.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well said.

The GTi is a very attractive package. It may be heavy but it's soul has returned. It is a fun car and is absolutely loved in Europe.

It is great value as a base car, naturally the options bring the price up...

Quick Reply: A3 vs GTI? (longish)