Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 vs S4, First 1000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 vs S4, First 1000 miles

ok, so I've put 1100 miles on my 08 2.0T A3 after trading in my 06 S4.

Why'd I do it? Was getting tired of $180 oil changes and 20 MPG. I could have lived with that IF the car performed how I expected here. However I live in New Mexico and drive mostly between 5000-8000 feet above sea level. The 4000lb car lost so much umph due to altitude the above costs grated on me.

So here's what I think:
Looks, exterior. Pretty subjective. My wife thinks they look the same. I'll go with the A3. I like it's squat looks and black roof (open sky) a bit better.

Looks, interior: S4 easily. Killer interior with high quality leather and burled wood.

Comfort: S4 again. The Recaro seats are great. More storage in the trunk and elsewhere.

Convenience: A3. I got the premium package in the A3, not the S4. Was TOOO much more money in the S4. So I have bluetooth, iPod integration, Open Sky. All are a joy to use.

Handling. S4. S4 feels more planted. More compliant over bumps, yet tracks better and understeers less due to Quattro. S4 turns in a lot sharper too. The A3 really needs an LSD. I have lost traction in 3rd!

Engine. A3! I love torque. The A3 has gobbs. I drove the S4 in FL for a while, and while it was faster there I still felt it lacked torque and didn't like how much I had to spin it to get moving. The 2.0T is a great engine, AND I'm getting 30mpg while having all this fun. If you take off the extra 700lbs and deduct 20% from the S4 (maybe a bit overzealous) for altitude the A3 is about as good on paper as the S4 was. Friends and wife say it feels the same. I have more fun with the 2.0T than i had with the V8.

Fun Factor. A3! I love the DSG. Wasn't sure at first. I've driven sticks for a LONG time. Read the DSG isn't as "engaging". I like it. It shifts faster than I can. Fun. Re above, the engine is more fun.

So there you have it. The S4 s a great car. Handles wonderfully, killer interior. I never loved the engine. We'll see if the next one has a turbo! The A3 is TONS of fun, more economical, and at 5000 ft plus about as fast as what I traded in. If I keep it and wanted to chip, lsd and maybe coil overs I think Id have a killer car ad t would be about an even swap (I got a check back from the dealer!) with the S4, with lower running costs.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default nice review

I really think you'll appreciate a rear sway bar. Easy cheap mod. Tires. And eventually suspension. Even if you swap out for an OEM sport suspension. Lowers around .8" or so. And feels a lot better on the road. The fwd A3 can feel amazingly planted with the right equipment.

Welcome to our board. Looking forward to some pics!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A3 vs S4, First 1000 miles

I agree with everything stated above except the exterior looks (and that's definitely subjective!) but you have the same impressions I do about the A3 vs my roommate's B5 S4 wagon.

The interior is in between GTI quality and A4-on-up quality. (The ex-wife has a GTI and I'm quite familiar with that as well.)

Definitely like the S4's bucket seats vs the Premium seats (I didn't really have much opinion on the A3 S-Line sport seats). However, I think I'd rather swap out my old BMW E46 3-series sport seats into the A3. They just felt more comfortable over longer distances than the A3 premium seats.

In any case, glad you're enjoying it as much as I am. It's a FUN CAR to drive with some serious utility to it as well.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As someone who owns both, I agree with most of your impressions except the engine.

You say you love "torque" but the S4 has MUCH more torque than the A3. What you should really say is you love "torque-feel."

The S4 V8 powerband is VERY linear, so you don't feel the rush of torque like you do with a 2.0l turbo motor. The torque is there, trust me (100 more ft-lbs), but you don't feel it because of it's much more linear delivery throughout the powerband. And with Quattro, you can't get the tires to chirp as easy as you can with the A3 2.0T's FWD, thus further smoothing out the feel.

Anyway, congrats with the new ride. The A3 is awesome and I love it. Two totally different rides though, but each serve their roles perfectly.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: As someone who owns both, I agree with most of your impressions except the engine.

I agree, and when I had the car at sea level it was much torque-ier. Before I bought the S4 i test drove a Pontiac GT. That's a V8 I loved, and that got 26 on the highway! The rest of the car, well, i did;t buy it.

So up here at 5-6000 feet I stil had a 4000lb car but lost 60lb of torque
Old 01-11-2008, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I could be wrong, but wouldn't you lose about same % of torque with a 2.0T because of the altitude?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well said. I lub your white s4. have u seen a new white A8 yet? drool.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As someone who considers an S4 from time to time, I was glad to read your excellent mini-review.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I could be wrong, but wouldn't you lose about same % of torque with a 2.0T because of the altitu

No, you lose a lot less. In theory, the turbo simply works harder to keep the same level of boost. In practicality, you lose a little, but nothing like in a normally aspirated engine
Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks man. Yeah, my dealer has an Ibis S8. That thing is ridiculously beautiful.

Quick Reply: A3 vs S4, First 1000 miles