Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 vs VW Golf R

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A3 vs VW Golf R

Previous Audi S4 B5 owner, now drive a Mazda Protege5.

I've been tooling with the idea of an A3 for about a year now but could never pull the trigger because I just can't get over the fact it's not a MANUAL AWD vehicle. I don't want to compensate and get an auto and regret it.

I just recently learned about the VW Golf R and read some comparisons and opinions on the two but mostly in the VW forum. I want the other side of the story to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. It seems like the perfect vehicle for me since I was looking for a manual AWD A3 and wanted a bit more power than it offered. The Golf R has

AWD
Manual only
273 hp stock (as tested by APR) but 256 listed by VW
APR tune gets 306 hp
Stiffer suspension
about 6k cheaper with similar options (maybe not as nice but same option types)

I LOVE AUDI and want to make sure I check all the facts and get opinions from everyone. Please advise...

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the main thing you are sacrificing with getting the Golf is appearance. I'm sorry, but the Golf is just butt ugly! I'd much rather have a premium plus A3 Titanium Sport Quattro with S-Tronic (what I do have) over the Golf's extra HP and manual. All of the cars I've owned prior to the A3 have been manual (2 Camaro's, and a GTO), and I have to say I don't miss it one bit with the S-Tronic. I actually prefer it with the paddle shifters in most situations.

Stick with VW's more refined brother and just get APR tuned. Just my honest opinion!
Old 07-21-2012, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's the problem you are facing right now: the current generation "8P" A3 is at the end of its run; Word on the street is that the final build-out for US production is scheduled for the next week or two. The new MQB based A3 should be stateside by this time next year. Sedan only, Sportback in alternative powertrain is possible down the road.

The new MQB Golf/GTI is scheduled for September reveal at the Paris Autoshow with sales in Europe starting by the end of the year; US sales to begin in autumn of 2013.

Both models are a significant upgrade over the existing MKVI Golf/8P A3. If you are in a position to wait until next summer or autumn, I'd highly recommend it. The new GTI is slated to get a power bump to between 220-240hp and while we don't have specs of the new A3 yet, we do know that the US will be getting an S3 variant soon after market launch.

As for the current Golf R - keep in mind that it utilizes the older generation 2.0T, not the current EA888 TFSI powerplant.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My wife and I received our 2013 A3 hatchback last week (we pre-ordered in the spring). We were also looking at the Golf but the Audi just seemed a bit more solid. Though the electronics in the VW as far as bluetooth audio and such looks perhaps a little better.

We have the option on ours where you can do a pseudo-manual mode. The car is automatic but you manually shift the gears using either the shifter or paddles on the steering wheel. Also just in general the automatic transmission really has the "feel" of a stick shift. You can kinda feel the clutch working and you have to work the gas pedal in such a way that reminds me of driving a stick.

We're first time audi owners and it's only been a week but we're really loving the car. Also since 2013 is going to tbe last year of the A3 hatchback, our dealer even told us it's looking to become a cult-classic car since it won't be available anymore. (they seemed to think the Q line is going to get a smaller crossover instead which will take the place of the hatchback) and the A3 is going to turn into their low price sedan model.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll chime in from the other side of the fence. I currently drive an '11 STi coming from an 04 TSX. The Acura had much better interior finishes and comfort but I don't miss it one bit because of the STi's AWD and flat-out performance. The one car that would make my eye wander is an S3 hatch and the Golf R is not too far a cry from that. IMO, the VW has some great features and performance though I do feel it's a bit pricey. Sometimes I feel it's the car Audi should brought over as the S3. Also, while I love driving manuals, a good, quick-shifting sequential gearbox has my interest. Never driven an S-Tronic but I hear they're great.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tgrundke
Here's the problem you are facing right now: the current generation "8P" A3 is at the end of its run; Word on the street is that the final build-out for US production is scheduled for the next week or two. The new MQB based A3 should be stateside by this time next year. Sedan only, Sportback in alternative powertrain is possible down the road.

Both models are a significant upgrade over the existing MKVI Golf/8P A3. If you are in a position to wait until next summer or autumn, I'd highly recommend it.
Final build out has already arrived. I believe all orders had to be placed by this past Monday (23 July). My 2013 is already on the boat crossing the Atlantic.

I take some issue with you saying the MQB based A3 is a "significant upgrade" over the existing. What are you basing that on? The only thing we know for sure is that a sedan will be arriving for 2014. Everything else as far as a new hatch is purely speculation. Audi of America doesn't even know what powerplants will be used in the U.S., but it is rumored it will use the same 2.0T that is in the current A3. I wouldn't call shaving a few pounds to be a significant upgrade. There's a reason the current 8P lasted so long...its hard to significantly improve without making it a $50K plus vehicle.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2012TitaniumA3
I take some issue with you saying the MQB based A3 is a "significant upgrade" over the existing. What are you basing that on? The only thing we know for sure is that a sedan will be arriving for 2014. Everything else as far as a new hatch is purely speculation. Audi of America doesn't even know what powerplants will be used in the U.S., but it is rumored it will use the same 2.0T that is in the current A3. I wouldn't call shaving a few pounds to be a significant upgrade. There's a reason the current 8P lasted so long...its hard to significantly improve without making it a $50K plus vehicle.
I'm basing that on the existing specs for the European car that's currently on sale. The MQB A3 is not only lighter, the weight distribution is better, the powertrain options significantly improved, we will be receiving an S-model, the interior is a substantial upgrade over the current model, increased leg and hip room without increasing the length of the car, significantly improved suspension setup to make the car more compliant on uneven pavement, etc.

Sure, final specs for the US A3 sedan have yet to be released, but we'll definitely get the new 2.0T with integrated exhaust manifold and valvelift, not the existing EA888 variant. What we don't know yet is if we get two 2.0T models or a base model with the new 1.8T and the S model with the 2.0T.

Otherwise the vehicle will, dynamically, be very similar to the recently launched European A3 3-door. Interior will be the same, but sheet metal will be unique to us.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tgrundke
I'm basing that on the existing specs for the European car that's currently on sale. The MQB A3 is not only lighter, the weight distribution is better, the powertrain options significantly improved, we will be receiving an S-model, the interior is a substantial upgrade over the current model, increased leg and hip room without increasing the length of the car, significantly improved suspension setup to make the car more compliant on uneven pavement, etc.

Sure, final specs for the US A3 sedan have yet to be released, but we'll definitely get the new 2.0T with integrated exhaust manifold and valvelift, not the existing EA888 variant. What we don't know yet is if we get two 2.0T models or a base model with the new 1.8T and the S model with the 2.0T.

Otherwise the vehicle will, dynamically, be very similar to the recently launched European A3 3-door. Interior will be the same, but sheet metal will be unique to us.
I hear you, but I guess we will have to agree to disagree when it comes to the word "significant". The Euro spec hatch does not impress me. I actually prefer the looks of the current 8P (in Titanium Sport trim) to the MQB Euro hatch. I don't like the newer headlight designs. I guess I was expecting something completely different when all the hype started a couple years ago. The only thing I like better about the interior is the pop-up dash display. Back seat leg room in a small hatch is inconsequential. If most people are looking for leg room, they will be looking at an overall larger vehicle (A4 & A4 Avant).

The new sedan will be awesome if the production model is what we saw at the Geneva show. However, I wouldn't hold your breath for the hatch. I hope you're right about an S variant coming to the States...but again, I wouldn't bet on it before 2016.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like one person is talking about engineering of the car and the other person is talking about 'how it looks'.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by LWNY
Looks like one person is talking about engineering of the car and the other person is talking about 'how it looks'.
No. Neither the looks nor the engineering is a "significant" improvement. An improvement, yes...but significant, no.

Quick Reply: A3 vs VW Golf R