Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A4 2.0TQ owner drives an A3 2.0TFWD...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A4 2.0TQ owner drives an A3 2.0TFWD...

Written by: Martin (dvag staff)...

I got a Loaner A3 today and i have to say that i am IMPRESSED, but dont worry A4 buds im not turning the B7 in just yet.

First of you guys are gonna have to excuse the lack of pictures (forgot to take the camera outta of the B7), but ive just confirmed that the car itself is a Sport pack car with DSG.

DSG
Possibly the most impressive alternative to the Manual transmission ever created. The fact that DSG is so good and is in a reasonably priced car is impressive. I love the way it shift, and i love watching the revs rise and drop. But by far my favorite feature is those pedals in the back of the steering wheel, makes me wish my audi came with them (ive got no S-Line). While this system is trully much much better than lets say SMG from BMW (which ive driven on 3 M3s) and infinitely better than the Ferrari/Maserati F1 that ive driven on a Maserati Spyder, no lurchiness and it always seems to shift very quickly.

One thing that i did notice is the "interesting noise" the car makes at WOT upshifts. After 220miles (yep in one day) im still not sure if i like the noise or not. Yes i know that Manual cars make a similar noise but there again im not sure if i like it or not. 1st gear whoever seems to be never lerchy on this car, something i havent experienced before in an A3 (im using judges/shawns car as examples). BTW Sport is bewildering in traffic (flowing, not stop and go) it always seems to shift at the wrong time

Interior

BIGGEST GRIP I HAVE, is with the location of the window switches, wtf? im huge and so is my arm, getting to those switches after lighting a stoge or to pay tolls is a pain in there rear. While we are on the topic of rears, the back seat space is fine, but i did the old sit in the back of the car test with my front seat at a comfortable poistion and i was comfortable, my knees okay but my head had to lean foward to fit, thank god i was driving and not sitting back there. Cargo capacity is another concern in my business, i relay heavily on my trunk to store various things like cabinet door sames. The A4 can with 32 such things very easy because i can lay 4 down flat, with the A3 its only 3 and im sorry thats a no go for me, this thing wont cut for me just for that reason.

Engine

The 2.0t is incredible in my car, in the A3 i cant find the word to describe it. The dunlops on the loaner were straining to hold down the power in 1st, 2nd, and (the beginning of) 3rd, how u Revo boyz on stock rubbers (like shawn) manage not to smoke it off at every light is beyond me. This is my first non-awd or 4wd car in a long time (minus the 7). and when i floor it i love hearing the tires protest, but again how do u guys keep the power down?
BTW, is it just me or is the A3 much shorter geared btw 3-4-5?
Backroads
Personally i though up to this point that AWD has a very distinct and clear advantage on the backroads, im wrong, sorta. while AWD does give me the ability to take turns i know very well because i lay down power early, the FWD system on the A3 was impressive. No its not as quick as the quat (usually around 5mph slower) but i though it would be worse. Exit speeds were much more impressive than i though they would be and there was almost no torque steer unless u lay out power to early. Its simply a different driving style than the slow in, power on early like the A4.

I give the car a 95 outta 100, only my A4 gets 100 outta 100 Very Happy Very Happy

BTW i would like to thank officer Randolph of the Bayonne Police department, i didnt realize how much rubber was gonna be laid out after the light turned, thank god he had a new GTi or i would have had a new ticket!

2006 A4 2.0TQ
Tip-Tech-Sport-Prem-Sunroof-Nav+
Quartz Grey/Ebony

W/ REVO<ul><li><a href="http://www.dvagonline.com/viewtopic.php?p=7097#7097">credits</a></li></ul>
Old 06-05-2006, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol @ cop w/ GTI... he understands "the fast" huh?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Eh

good man, but i also worked with him and we went to the same school

friends dont give friends tickets
Old 06-06-2006, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

that sure helps