Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Advice needed: A3 vs A4 - truck space

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed: A3 vs A4 - truck space

Hi - I used to own an 01 A4. Sold it after 2 years of ownership coz' I know it was gonna cost me $$ after the warranty ends esp with the coil pack and camshaft issues I had. Also, work dictates that I was going to be driving a lot more and needed a cheap commuter car.

Now, the commuter car is approaching 100k miles after 5 years and I'm thinking of getting back to an Audi.

I like the A3 2.0T and priced it to about $30k with the options I want.

I priced the A4 2.0T Avant with the options I want, and it's coming out to $37k.

Trying to decide if the extra $7k is worth the quattro (I'm in SE Michigan) and perhaps extra cargo and backseat space.

I read multiple reviews on the A3 with frontrak and most says it's pretty good (w/o quattro). Even the recent C&D comparo of the new TT (non-quattro) is good w/o quattro.

A3 I priced with DSG. A4 I priced with 6 speed. I think the tiptronic is not DSG on the A4.

Realistically, with the improvements in Audi quality over the years, can I expect almost no headaches for 100k?

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default rear seating space is a tiny bit better in the A3, vs. A4. However trunk space?

the A3's trunk is about 25% smaller than the A4. That is my best estimate.

I'd imagine that you could use the quattro, in MI. Maybe look for a used 3.2 A3 (comes standard with quattro).
Old 05-07-2007, 08:24 AM

Default that is my hope too, to be able to drive the car till 100k w/o major problems...

so far the car has been very reliable (@ 23k). i had no issues except the broken opensky shade latch. good luck with your decision.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:48 AM

Default AWD is a must have

If you live where there is severe weather.

I live in the mountains and we got snow this Sat/Sun.

If safety is your thing, go with Quattro (A4 or A3), FWD is pretty good but not as good.

Ultimately, for performance the A3 2.0 can be tuned and is lighter.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: AWD is a must have

Yeah, in Detroit area AWD would be nice to have in about 5-7 days out of the year when the snow is still on the ground.

But I really don't want to get the 3.2 just to get quattro, coz' by then the cost is the same as the A4 2.0T Avant.

When I had the 01 A4 w/ snow tires, I could practically drive anywhere when it snows. So, I know the benefit of quattro. Just that it is only the few days when the road crews not out yet (meaning lazy ) to clear them. Once they are clear, FWD,AWD,RWD will work just fine.

Basically, I'm trying to be cheap. If a $30k car will work with as much trunk space and backseat why pay $8k more for the A4 Avant.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 100k w/ no headaches? No.

But probably less headaches than your '01. (I had an '01 A4 too)

If you are putting on 20,000 miles a year I'd get the A3. Better mileage.

What have you been driving the last 5 years? Something with AWD, or just FWD? If you've been fine the last 5 years without AWD, then save your money and get the A3.

Drive both back to back. The A3 feels lighter on it's feet, and is more fun to drive IMO. On the other hand, if you are putting a lot of miles on the softer and roomier ride of the A4 may be more desirable. You must decide for yourself. Take them both out for a good, long test drive, then decide and just don't look back.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had the same thoughts as you, live in the NorthEast, and ended up with the A3 2.0t.

Do I miss Quattro? Sure... maybe 5-10% of the time. The other 90% of them time I'm happier to have a lighter car that doesn't have the drivetrain drag/loss of quattro, and I save money in mileage too.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I agree with Scott. Since 6/5/2005 I've only missed

quattro 1 day, if we're only talking about weather issues.

Granted we've had mild winters.

I would love to have quattro. But gas mileage is important to me.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default quattro is nice but ...

if you need a commuter car, you may want to consider its gas milage (price of gas to hit $4 soon). AWD drops the milage by about 10-20 %...

I lived in your area (Ann Arbor, MI) years ago and went fine two winters in a FWD car.

Now I live in NY and have both the A4 Avant (quattro, manual) and the 2006 A3 (2.0T). I appreciate the stability, settled feel and secure handling of the quattro in all conditions. Regrettably, I do not have much use of it other that climbing my steep driveway a few times in a year... The main reason is that even when it snows heavily they just plow the roads too much to really take advantage of AWD...

I did not even put snow wheels on my A3 last winter. I am sure that A3 with good snows will be OK for a winter travel and I would not miss the quattro at all (especially in the commuter car).

A4 Avant is not a large wagon but it is very practical.

Avant's cargo room is bigger and much more useful than A3 trunk. It is 4 inch longer, rear seats fold flat and it comes standard with retractable cargo net and a very convenient roof rack. If you ever need to carry any large items (ski box, kayaks, christmas trees, boxes from IKEA etc...) the roof rails are rated for 150 lb but they'll hold twice as much :-)
Old 05-07-2007, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default In a thread not that long ago, somebody asked about reliability. One or two techs piped up

and mentioned that the A3 appears to have very few problems and is a simple car to work on when it does need service.

Quick Reply: Advice needed: A3 vs A4 - truck space