Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Aftermarket Auto Changer 2001MY (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Auto Changer 2001MY (Long)

Well, after receiving my 2001 Tsport and rather prematurely purchasing an Alpine autochanger.

I can now report the succesful fitting of a Panasonic 9060 and full wiring...hurrah.

After much debating with myself and searching through the forum archive I decided to plump for the Alpine CHM-S620 changer and conversion cable.

Having a thorough search around the boot, I couldn't find the fitted cable. Gingeboy confirmed that Audi don't fit it anymore, except when purchasing the OEM changer. I confirmed this with Aston Green this morning.

I had already got the car booked in for fitting with John Kleis (Reading).

Anyway, the outcome is this:

No cable pre-installed...could buy cable from Audi (no idea of price) or use Panasonic compatible one from Kleis. Plumped for changing Alpine for Panasonic 9060 and had it fitted. JK reported that Audi have changed things at the rear of the Concert head unit, just to spite aftermarket fitters.

Turned out to require "breaking apart" of ISO connector and about 4 hours of work. Sounds like it is no longer the quick DIY job of past years.

Total price including fitting around £290. Still better than OEM price.

One site I found on the net is Edworthy's, they provide Alpine or Panasonic and interface leads as a combined pack.

Hope this proves useful.<ul><li><a href="http://www.edworthys.co.uk">http://www.edworthys.co.uk</a</li></ul>
Old 11-16-2000, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Like to make customers bleed !!! (short rant!)

Being lazy I opted for the factory install, and am very happy with the result.

Can never quite believe how much difference there is in cost if you want a CD autochanger fitted in a VW for example. Surely near identical units!

A guess Audi know with demand for the cars so high, they can pretty much charge what they want!

Still wouldn't swap for an A3 Skoda, A3 Seat or A3 VW though!