Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Air Conditioning/fan problems AUDI A3 1.8SE 20V (2000 model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning/fan problems AUDI A3 1.8SE 20V (2000 model)

Hi to everybody. I have found my way to this forum (and others) because of problems that I am experiencing with my Audi a3 1.8 20v SE (non turbo)(2000 model). Recently my fan belt snapped and I needed to call the AA to recover me (annoyingly the car was booked into my local mechanics for a full service, a new timing belt, new CV joints, front brake discs and pads exactly a week later!) The reason the fan belt snapped was because the clutch/pulley system had fallen off of the air refridgeration compressor and it then eventually seized, snapping the fan belt. I was 30 miles from home with no power steering and no charge going to my attery
- I made it half way before the battery gave out, then I called a "very nice man" who put a fully charged battery on my car and followed me home (thanxs again AA man). My mechanic looked at the car the following day and informed me that I could by-pass the aircon by fiting a non-air con fan belt or alternatively I would have to fit a new air refridgeration compressor and fan belt kit. I bit the bullit and purchased a new air con compressor and it was fitted at the same time the rest of the work was done. I was expecting to collect the car that evening but at 4:30 the mechanic called me and said he would not be happy releasing the car as both of the fans were constantly on and ran until the battery went flat. He suggested a new fan relay but could not get the part until he following day. When he fitted the new relay the fans ran constantly (even when cold and on start up) after the ignition was switched off both of the fans ran (at the slow speed setting) for about another 5-10 minutes before cutting out. The air conditioning is not cutting in however when a live feed is connected directly to the air refridgeration compressor the cabin does get cold (so the part does work). The air-con system is fully gassed. The mechanic has stated that the fault is not to do with the thermostat or
engine cooling system but to with the air-con system gases being to hot and requiring cooling.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and considered. Please feel free to ask more questions I will be as specific as I can be.

Thanxs madgoose.

One more thing. On occassions normally on a cold start (but not always) I hear 4 "peeps" coming from the rear wing on the passengers side (right hand drive car). This is where the factory fitted sub-woofer is fitted and behind that what appears to be a earthiing cable/point. I have asked Audi about thos on numerous occasions but they do not know! Anybody?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Air Conditioning/fan problems AUDI A3 1.8SE 20V (2000 model)

Mods I do not know if this is allowed or not on this board so please PM/Email me or delete/adjust as you see fit.

I have posted this on 7 boards so if I post the link to the busiest thread and post my updates there please take a look and post there or here so I can get as many oppinions as possible.

Thanxs madgoose.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=262910#post262910
Old 11-03-2008, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Air Conditioning/fan problems AUDI A3 1.8SE 20V (2000 model)

I notice alot of people come to these boards/forums asking for help with their problems but few seem to post how they mamnaged to solve their problems - this does not create a wealth of information but a forum full of questions and speculative answers.

How I solved my problem!

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=52014