Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

any Audi sales or finance guys here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any Audi sales or finance guys here?

I have a question regarding my current lease.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...
Old 06-19-2005, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

YOU RANG?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:03 PM

Default I'm 2 1/2 years into my lease....

1) I was told there are no lease specials for the A3.
2) If I keep my '02 A4 until end of lease and then trade it in, will I have to pay for mileage? (currently 58K)
3) Or, what are some other options I might have?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:35 PM

Default buy it out or trade it in to a non Audi dealer who wants to buy out the lease

Not sure exactyl how it works since I have never leased a car but I know people have done both to not have to pay the overmileage.. they look more at the overal value of the car and you dont' get hit with thousands of dollars in overage fees, which may not reflect the actual value of the car.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:09 PM

Default ok, I'm interested in the A3

should I wait until next August when my lease expires before I trade it in? That way I won't be upside down in my next lease/purchase (if there are no lease specials) like I am now. I traded in my Jetta too early and I was quite upside down going into my Audi.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You have to choose which bullet you want to get shot with

It's true the leasing programs on the A3 are not great. If you keep your current car(buy out the lease) you do not have to pay excess milage charges. Since you seem to drive a lot 60k mi in 30 months you should not be leasing anyway.
If you want an A3 this is what I would do in your situation. Find out weather it would be cheaper to pay the excess miles or to trade in your car and buy out your lease. Remember the car may be worth a few thousand less than what you can by the car for. I would do which costs less and just buy the A3.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:53 PM

hey thanks for the help and info.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Merovingian is right.

1. A3 lease deals are not so hot right now. With the kind of miles you drive anyway, I would suggest a lease is a bad idea for you. The highest "normal" lease is 20K per year, and of course the payment will reflect the lower residuals of a car with more miles at lease end.

IMHO, buy, don't lease. If you can't afford that, look at something less expensive or buy nearly new (1 to 2 years old with factory extended warranty to 100K).

2. Look up your lease terms and extrapolate what your mileage will be like by the end of the lease. Now multiply the over-mileage penalty by those overage miles. That's the amount you must beat in your private sale or dealer trade-in at this time. Of course the longer you wait, the less your car will be worth in sale or trade, since the miles will rack up. This should tell if it's worth swapping out or riding it out.

You have a couple of options with your present car.

Sell it yourself. It may be worth less than the buyout though, so don't be surprised. Also, for that kind of money, factory incentives mean the payments on a lease of a new car will be less than buying your used car. So buyers may be in short supply.

Trade it in to the dealer. Again, it's probably worth less than the lease buy-out at this point. You won't have to pay for extra miles directly, but those miles will be reflected in the offer the dealer gives you. It doesn't matter whether an Audi dealer or not, a car is only worth what it is worth. Visit a Carmax if there is one nearby to see what they offer. They are often the highest.

3. Find a car that is being extremely sub-vented. An example that gets tossed around here a lot is Saab. They have huge incentives and dealers are willing to discount the heck out of those cars. Now, you may not want to drive a Saab, but then neither does anybody else, and that is why they are being discounted;-)

With all those incentives and discounts, you should be able to roll over the upside-down amount on your excess mileage with minimal pain. However, since Saab isn't popular and is being massively discounted, don't expect to sell it for much down the road. Not an issue if you plan to drive it into the ground, but do make sure it, or any other highly incentivized car is something you'll enjoy for at least 4 years (good point to get another car), since getting out of that car will be very difficult for a while.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:57 PM

Default if you are using AFS you should have built the additional mileage in up front

I do 25k/year miles for people all the time. You may see special A3 stuff in the next few months. Audi/VW is starting to figure out that releasing cars with no programs kills off momentum. Our VW rep just told me that the Passat will come with special programs from near the start, because of what happened with the a6 and a3 launches.