Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Any new A3 rumors for near future?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any new A3 rumors for near future?

Im going to be turning in my A4 later this year and I just might be leaning towards going with the A3 this time around. Problem is, I feel the A3 is a little bit stagnent right now. I wouldnt hesitate for an instant if they released it with the 2.0/quattro in the US but I just will not buy a front wheel drive car. I have driven the 3.2 DSG and liked it alot, but its a price point too close to an A4. To add to my disappointment of Audi's US marketing choices, the 3.2 is REALLY expensive, but its not even FSI...

As a former TT owner I really like the new car but $50k for something as impractical as it was is too daggum much.

I know these arent new concerns or issues but its like Audi set this car up to fail... BMW with the 318i, Mercedes with the C230 Coupe, why do they equip/price these cars to have been non-successes?

I feel like I need to be cleansed of my impure thoughts of the new 335i Coupe. That car packs alot more punch for the dollar than any Audi I can seem to configure.

Someone give me some inspiring news for the 2008 A3?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No solid rumours for you yet. Give us a month for the new order guides.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default A3 2.0TQ - A4 has it, is it that difficult to cert it for the A3?

I think they just don't want to kill the 3.2 sales.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, but the A4 also has tiptronic for the 2.0TQ. Audi doesn't make an S-tronic 2.0TQ A3.

Also, the 2.0T in the A4 is a completely different setup--it's a longitudinal mount instead of transverse.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I just think they are being bastards

Its like they are disposing of the non-FSI in the A3 and giving the A3 buyer no choice but to take that engine off their hands if they want a high performance A3 quattro...

Audi is on their high horse right now and its starting to **** off the people that stuck with them thru the dark days.

In a recent survey from Audi I let them know this. I made mention that they keep pimping the UrQuattro in all their advertising but not supporting the parts for the car any longer.

Also, I told them that now that I can afford to buy a new Audi, I can afford to buy anything... So if they want to retain customers they should listen to them.

Audi feels there is an endless supply of "new customers" and it shows because they have some of the lowest brand retention in the whole industry.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:08 PM

Default 3.2 A3 Quattro could disappear

If they would just up the HP on the 2.0T engine to compensate for the increased weight of the Quattro (say 230 HP), then a A3 2.0T Quattro would be all that you need!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Would you pay low $30K range for a base 2.0TQ? Mid to upper $30K range with options?

That's probably what it would cost to spread the certification over the number of cars expected to sell (since they would be stick only, and only 20% of A3s sold here come in stick). So the price spread between the 2.0TQ and V6 would be almost nonexistant (because the V6 piggybacks on the R32 and TT, thus keeping certification costs down).

And to be honest, dealers here don't really want to bother with A3 sales. It's just a gap filler. Not enough margin. And customers beat them up on what margin there is. Easier and more profitable to sell halo cars like the TT, R8, A5, RS4. Since AoA has finite resources to certify and market cars here, they have to go with what brings up the image of the brand from a public perception point of view. It just makes business sense. I think they see the A3 as just a bonus car that piggy-backs on the VW platform, thus making it relatively inexpensive to offer.

Just pointing out what seems logical to me from a business sense. I'm just glad we even have some flavour of A3 to enjoy.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I just think they are being bastards

I've occasionally given props to Audi in the past, they missed more than they hit tho. Having said that, if the right Audi combo came along, my wife and I always said we'd consider it.

I have no brand loyalty. When I bought the A3, I just as easily would have bought another BMW if they offered the 1 series. Quality for the price and performance are what are important to us. If that's Lexus/'Yota, Ford/Mazda, GM/Saturn makes to difference to us.

The car must feel right, give good value (debatable with Audi/V.W.)and have good gas mileage. Then we'll start talking.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Would be tempting, but I live in Phx, so don't really need Q, No A3, I'd probably be driving

something else
Old 03-18-2007, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default My impression from speaking to some folks, is that the A3 was a bonus car with regards

the fact that the driveline certification can be piggy-backed onto models that are expected to sell in larger volumes. By itself, it doesn't make financial sense to bring here.

Quick Reply: Any new A3 rumors for near future?